143 Hammer Hunters 28 Nosler Loads

RL26 was fastest in my 28n, but I stuck with h1000 and cci250s with the 143HH. Very nice load at 3500fps. I started at a random really long COAL and groups tightened up as I got shorter, til I found a sweet spot. So while not super sensitive, seating depth can help

RL26 was fastest in my 28n, but I stuck with h1000 and cci250s with the 143HH. Very nice load at 3500fps. I started at a random really long COAL and groups tightened up as I got shorter, til I found a sweet spot. So while not super sensitive, seating depth can help
I found that out too. All groups were under one moa but when I shoved the bullet WAYYY back (like where no groves were showing) the groups tightened up a little bit. It's like these bullets defy all the unwritten laws of reloading (like seating the bullets between .005 jam and .030 jump). I like h1000 so if I can't get the rl26 to consistantly give good groups, I'll give it a shot. I'd also like to try my favorite powder, Retumbo. Problem is, these bullets are way too expensive to try all powder/ primer combos

Yeah... my rationale was to get it shooting accurately as quick as Possible. Two range trips and 16 (if I'm remembering right) shots later I had my load. Ran rl26 for speed, just didn't like something about it. H1000 is stable and pretty good for velocity and I had an 8# jug on the bench. I stopped development when the cold bore went low and the next 3 went same hole. ES was 6 for those 3 shots. I giggled out loud and said "I found my load" in a sing-songy voice (Probably louder than was publicly acceptable). Really didn't screw around with anything else at 100yds and grabbed shot data at longer ranges. BCs were spot on out to 720. After that, wind, conditions, me sucking at shooting, whatever else... convinced me to stay around 700 ish on this load.

I shoot both the 143 & 177 Hammer Hunter in my 7 STW (so ballistics should be close to your 28 Nosler). I use RL26 for both. I'm getting 3500+ fps with the 143 an 3000+ with the 177. Both are under 0.5" moa. These bullets are devastating on game. I used the 213 gr from my 338 Lapua to make short work of a Kodiak Island mountain goat a few weeks ago. Took out the front shoulder and made jelly of the vitals with a nice exit wound.
What is the barrel twist on the STW?

I found that out too. All groups were under one moa but when I shoved the bullet WAYYY back (like where no groves were showing) the groups tightened up a little bit. It's like these bullets defy all the unwritten laws of reloading (like seating the bullets between .005 jam and .030 jump). I like h1000 so if I can't get the rl26 to consistantly give good groups, I'll give it a shot. I'd also like to try my favorite powder, Retumbo. Problem is, these bullets are way too expensive to try all powder/ primer combos
More jump seems to be a trend I've noticed with monos. Also see the same with sciroccos. This works out good for hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.