28 Nosler and 169gr Hammer Hunters

Kmccord

Today I decided to work with my 28 Nosler and Hammer Hunters, I had this rifle for several years custom built by Alliance Custom Armory, it shoots pretty good, but wanted to get your feedback on what to try. I loaded up using H1000, the throat has some erosion from me pushing it with 195 Berger's, so I did not want to break out RL33 off the bat, I did a deep clean on it in 2019 and had not shot it since. Below is my target at 100yds the center bullseye is me getting it back to zero, had the scope on another rifle for over a year. The left bullseye is with 80.0 gr of H1000 and the right Bullseye is 80.5. Now, with 80.5 I am looking at ejector marks, the group is the same, however it's 80 and 80.5 I am at Vertical string in three shot group. Below are my loads with Average FPS, ES and SD.

Started at 76gr and went to 80 at two shots per load to find pressure.
76 average 3075 ES 49 SD 34
77 average 3144 ES 30 SD 21
78 average 3148 ES 8 SD 5
79 average 3201 ES 8 SD 5
80 average 3244 ES 0 SD 0

Loaded 3 per load
80 average 3249 ES 15 SD 8
80.5 average 3284 ES 16 SD 8 ejector marks, stiff bolt.

IMG_20211115_112152843.jpg

I didn't make it clear in my message, I wanted to hear from others on what they would think could cause the vertical stringing. Also, if others have used H1000 with the 169gr HH in the 28 Nosler. The ES and SD is pretty good, I was thinking going down a half a grain to see if it would close up some.

Clean barrel, the center bullseye is the 76 to 80 gr pressure test. Then three at 80 and three at 80.5 and that is where the pressure hit. It shoots real good with other bullets, Berger bullets. I mean it shot good with the Hammer Bullets, measured .661 MOA, just vertical instead of like a triangle.

I was thinking of dropping down to 79.5 and see if that would show anything better. If not, then maybe a seating depth test, I have them about .20 off jamb. I just don't want to waste too much on load development when it is shooting pretty well, but thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any recommendations that could improve it or if anyone has used this combo in a 28 Nosler and wanted to share data.

I was thinking of dropping down to 79.5 and see if that would show anything better. If not, then maybe a seating depth test, I have them about .20 off jamb. I just don't want to waste too much on load development when it is shooting pretty well, but thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any recommendations that could improve it or if anyone has used this combo in a 28 Nosler and wanted to share data.
I agree. Try 79.5.

From what I've seen and read most are using N570 and a few are using Retumbo when it comes to the 169 HH in 28 Nosler. There is one guy listing H1000 on the Hammer site but he's using the 177 but he seem to get getting good results.

The vertical is interesting as for that low of spread you wouldn't expect to see it at 100 yards. Have you shot it at distance?

From what I've seen and read most are using N570 and a few are using Retumbo when it comes to the 169 HH in 28 Nosler. There is one guy listing H1000 on the Hammer site but he's using the 177 but he seem to get getting good results.

The vertical is interesting as for that low of spread you wouldn't expect to see it at 100 yards. Have you shot it at distance?
No, not yet, just started working on it this morning while the wind was down.