28 Nosler Hammer Bullets

318lll9740

Good morning! Looks like my new rifle for the season wont be ready until end of month, and my addiction to shooting led to building a "back up" rifle from some spare parts I had. The 26 and 28 nosler cartridges have become my personal favorites over the last few years. I have 2, 26s and only one 28, so the obvious choice was to throw together a 28. Long story short, I bought an eabco 28 nosler bbl, RB sav-1 trigger, and thick recoil lug, and put it on a old long savage action I had in the shop. Got to range to sight in scope and break in barrel and I quickly saw the big 7mm shoots. I tried 162 Interlocks load up 91-94gr of US869 in one grain increments resulting in 2/3" to 3/4" groups. I then switched over to the 140 NBT, with the intention of finding pressure so I could have some kind of starting info to use on the 143 Hammer Hunters I will be trying out this year. Again I was impressed with groups, as every load tried was .4"-.6"! I was really pleased to find that the max load of 97gr RL33 was conveniently level with case mouth. So basically fill her up and stuff a 140nbt on top at 3.37 coal. So even if I cant get a load i like with Hammer Hunters, the 140 NBT will do fine on these East Texas pipelines and West Texas desert. At 200yds I sighted 2.5" high and at 400 I was 10" low. With that being said, I figured I would start at 92gr RL33 with the 143 HH and load up to 97 gr, stopping when pressure shows. Does this sound right, or has anyone worked up a load for this?

I just used the 169 hammer hunter on a Bison hunt. It worked amazingly well. As for load development I used Noslers data for their 169 bullets. I didn't have much time to play with a load. I plugged it in and shot it, groups were great so I left it. Anyway my 28 Nosler is similar to yours. Built off a savage large shank I had. I added all the upgrades and it shoots everything well. Hammer bullets did the trick for me.

I run the 143s at 3500 with H1000. Mild load. I ran em up past 3600 with rl26, but had a big jug of 1000. Zero at 300, don't think about it til after 400yds

I just used the 169 hammer hunter on a Bison hunt. It worked amazingly well. As for load development I used Noslers data for their 169 bullets. I didn't have much time to play with a load. I plugged it in and shot it, groups were great so I left it. Anyway my 28 Nosler is similar to yours. Built off a savage large shank I had. I added all the upgrades and it shoots everything well. Hammer bullets did the trick for me.
Yeah I used the nosler data for reference as well. I think its a good starting point for general reloading data

I run the 143s at 3500 with H1000. Mild load. I ran em up past 3600 with rl26, but had a big jug of 1000. Zero at 300, don't think about it til after 400yds
Thanks for that info. I like H1K and use it in my 6.5-284. Im gonna give it a go as well well. Do you mind disclosing charge weight?

What powder did you use? I've just loaded some 169 hammers with retumbo for my 28 Nosler, but haven't been to the range yet.

You might also try IMR Enduron 8133. You get a little more speed with less pressure than H1000. It's working really well in mine with 175's and 162's. Sub 1/2 moa.

I'm also collecting info on putting together a load for the 143 HH for 28 nos 1:10 ( seems most stable with that twist) . Hammer bullets also has a forum that has some load I go on it reading through it either the 143's showing 8133 most consistent 75.2-84.5 gr @ 3363 FPS, N570 & RL 23 with similar numbers. Or just email them they seem to be willing to answer any questions

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts