Smaller caliber for prairie dogs and fun recommendation

I'm taking my kids on a deer hunt this fall and where were hunting the guy said there's plenty of p dogs to shoot. I'm all kinds of excited to blast them little critters. I've never really messed around much with smaller calibers. So what would you recommend? Nothing really odd ball. I'm thinking 6mm creedmoor, 223, 22 creedmoor, or maybe a 243 with a high twist rate barrel and ream the throat to use the heavy 243 cals. I know the 243 is a lot over kill but I've been wanting to do that one for some time.
Of the calibers you mention, the .223 will be plenty for most of the shots. The other calibers you mention will heat up quick and really no reason to burn that much powder on prairie dogs, UNLESS you fighting wind or trying to reach way out yonder.

I much prefer .17 and .20 calibers especially with suppressors attached. Makes for an enjoyable day of shooting.

I've got a NIB Savage WV in 22 hornet that would work great for you!
Agreed. I've got an old Lee enfield that is converted to 22K hornet. Great squirrel hunting rifle.

Attachments

• CC029BA3-74D2-48F8-9DED-65798CD996FB.jpeg
    CC029BA3-74D2-48F8-9DED-65798CD996FB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I'm taking my kids on a deer hunt this fall and where were hunting the guy said there's plenty of p dogs to shoot. I'm all kinds of excited to blast them little critters. I've never really messed around much with smaller calibers. So what would you recommend? Nothing really odd ball. I'm thinking 6mm creedmoor, 223, 22 creedmoor, or maybe a 243 with a high twist rate barrel and ream the throat to use the heavy 243 cals. I know the 243 is a lot over kill but I've been wanting to do that one for some time.

I biased here but I think a .22-250 would be the perfect candidate. With a Hornday 50 grain you're easily good past 600 yards shooting nearly flat & with no recoil. JMO, everybody has one. I'm just saying....

We do a ton of gopher shooting: 22 RF to 125, 17 HMR to 250, 17 Fireball or 22 Hornet 125 on out if you want to use CF. I can load 50 22H or 17 FB for the same price as 50 17 HMR. Low recoil, great performance, very accurate and a ton of fun to be had by all. Long barrel life, cheap to shoot.

Target squares are 1/2" on a side

I9Oc63kl.jpg

rbx3bdhl.jpg

When the 17HMR first became available, many had to have one. Didn't take long for the new owners to find they enjoyed target shooting with their new find. But, they were useless on the dog towns. The wind would just eat up that little light weight bullet. Even 10mph was too much, and those days with less wind than that are few, maybe 3-4 days in a summer. And those may be the days when you don't have the time or opportunity to be in the field. Here, in Western Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle you best be shootin' something that'll buck the wind.

If it is just a p-dog gun it is very hard to beat the .223Rem. If you are looking to do double duty for p-dogs doubling as the kids deer/antelope gun it is pretty tough to beat the .243Win. There are more "hip and now" chamberings, but if you don't mind practical, those two will get the job done with easy to find consumables and they will perform as well as anything.

If it is just a p-dog gun it is very hard to beat the .223Rem. If you are looking to do double duty for p-dogs doubling as the kids deer/antelope gun it is pretty tough to beat the .243Win. There are more "hip and now" chamberings, but if you don't mind practical, those two will get the job done with easy to find consumables and they will perform as well as anything.
Not to mention that with these new fandango rifles, there are a lot more used 223/243 rifles to be had. Well.. at least here in New Brunswick, Canada. I love my 223 Rem's. I have two that I just can't part with: A savage axis I; is my brush beater and a rem 700 target (1:12Tw). For the record I have a 6mm creedmoor and am having my 6.5 bergara re-barreled to 22 Creedmoor.

Any gun will be fun. I personally like my .223 , shoot 90 % of my prairie dogs with it. Doesn't use a lot of powder,brass is readily available, doesn't heat as fast as bigger capacity cases, inherently accurate. Little cartridge just has a lot going for it. Plus there is a wide range of rifles available in this caliber. Just my $.02

When shooting locally and for days that will not exceed 300yds, I love my 222's and 223's. If there will be shots out to 5-600yds, I have a few 1/8 twist 223's that pull double duty with light, fast bullets for the shorter range shots and/or low winds, and if the shots become longer or the winds get up, I switch to the 75-80 grainers. This dual system has worked well for me for many years, and if I want to reach even farther, I take my 22-250 and/or 22-250AI's with fast twists and the heavies.

This has allowed me to mostly retire the 6mm's and 25-06's from P-dog shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.