35 caliber bullet recommendation

montana_native

Hello,

I've been hot-rodding a 35 Whelen improved and am considering using it on elk. I am currently shooting the 200 TTSX at 3150 fps with 66 grains of RL15 and no pressure signs although it is hard on the brass.

Would a lead core bonded bullet be better for this rifle? Partition ? Thanks.

I'd personally take that TTSX over a Partition any day of the week & twice on Sunday.... but the Partition will get'er done I suppose. What is prompting you to switch? You mentioned elk; at what range? If your rifle likes the Barnes, I can't find a reason to switch, unless you go up to the 225 TSX. I played with the 225 in a .358STA for a while & it shot very well.

t

I am currently shooting the 200 TTSX at 3150 fps with 66 grains of RL15 and no pressure signs although it is hard on the brass.

I'm a bit confused by this part of your post?

I would pretty much agree with Outlaw6.0. I used to shoot an .358 AI, basically an STA.
Generally I prefer lead cores, the Partitions are great killers, but do not always provide all the accuracy a rifle is capable of.

The .225 Accubond is a pretty good Whelen bullet. If you're just looking at a change. It likely won't penetrate as well as the TTSX if you're shooting bigger stuff.

Hello,

I've been hot-rodding a 35 Whelen improved and am considering using it on elk. I am currently shooting the 200 TTSX at 3150 fps with 66 grains of RL15 and no pressure signs although it is hard on the brass.

Would a lead core bonded bullet be better for this rifle? Partition ? Thanks.
I shoot a 35 Whelen AI and will be carrying it next week in CO. If you want to move up in bullet size and still shoot them fairly fast see if you can find some Barnes 225 XLC's, they have been out of production for years but you can still find them. With 63.5g of Rl-15 I can get 2900 out of my 22" stainless barrel, thats 150 fps faster than I can do with non coated jacketed bullets. I settled on a little slower load of 2850 because it shoots @ 1/2" Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts