Smaller caliber for prairie dogs and fun recommendation

The 204 ruger is one of my favorite. That being said its hard to beat the 243's ,25-06 and 22-250. We don't waste our time with rimfires at our camp.
If you shoot 500 + rounds in a day thats were the 17 and 20's shine less barrel heat and cheaper to shoot

I use my 19 Badger primarily and my Cooper 21 in .19-223 next. If the wind is not cooperating I get the 243AI out.

You're not wrong but we have multiple rifles ready to go when one heats up. It's kinda like the smiles per gallon with the centerfire rifles(3000+fps).
I usually take 4 rifles one gets dirty i grab another. As much as I shoot a year im not gonna shoot 30.00 - 50.00 dollar a box bullets constantly, it gets spendy quick.

I have been really lucky besides the fact that I ened up disabled a few years ago, For one small reason or another the manufactures replaced the barrels on three of my rifles for free. Cooper - I wanted to change the twist from 1:9 to 1:8, on a 260. Rock River Arms on my Coyote Fred Echielcher model 223, they didn't fix the barrel brake so I got a new Barrel, Volquarterson put a new barrel on so I could use supressor. plus We got a new Kimber Montana SS Carcbn fiber stock in 270WSM withthe money we received from Browning when the bought Winchester. Jill's 25WSSM barrel was scored from the factory so Browning gave us money to get the Kimber. Plus I put a new barrel on the 204 Ruger and onlyu have 1K on my 3rd 260 for pRS. So now Jill and I had have new or almost new barrels on (9) rifles plus building two new rifles 6mm BR and 6.5 X 284.. It is nice that themanufactures bucked up and got new barrels.
Now Jill and ai are manufacturing custom chambering barrels and cerakoating. Just got the new Tailstock for our Go824 lathe. We just to have to finifh the electrical and will be a full operational gun smith Cerakoatin

You must have a healthy supply of rimfire ammo!
No rimfire everything i own I reload for, all my 17 and 20's I shoot midsouth v - nitmare bullets in at about 50.00 for 500
My 20BRAI is the exception and I dont shoot it much. I have a ruger 10-22 but I haven't shot it in probably 5 years.
I do have a healthy supply of v- nitemares

If you decide to carry a rimfire for those closer-in dogs, you can't beat this one:

17/223 in AR15
.224 Valkyrie AR15
6mm x 45 AR15
I prairie dog weekly in Wyoming. The 17/223 is fantastic out to 300 plus yards (25 grain VMAX)
.224 Valkyrie has been my longer range go to 700 yards (88 grain ELD)
6mm x 45 is good for the distance between the other two (80 grain ballistic tip)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.