Slowing down a hot cartridge (don't hate on me for asking)

MOST Likely it's a 1-12 Twist barrel Weatherby MK-V, IF it's, an OLDER German one.
It will shoot, the 130 grain Bullets best and either of, the 4895's should "work"
But, IMR 4350 @ begining chgs would be, My choice with, a 130 Boattail if, they "shoot" and IF, not,..
use beginning Book charges of, IMR 4350 with, Sierra 130 gr. Pro Hunters or, 130 gr. Hornady Interlocks, both are, Flat Based, IF all else, Fails !
My German .270 Wby MK 5's liked, the Hornady Interlock, 130 gr. FB's and 4350, real well and the Deer / Antelope, dropped, DRT

Last edited:
There is only one powder that you can SAFELY reduce loads to 60% of typical maximum loads, and that is H4895. I wouldn't try reduced loads below book minimum with any other powder other than Trail Boss. I once tried reduced loads using H4350, turned the rifle into hang fire city, some were 1 full second from click to BOOM.
I load reduced loads in my big bores, but these use foam fillers above the powder and have to be weighed and set so the bullet compresses them to work correctly, unless doing that you get a squib.

Cheers.

MOST Likely it's a 1-12 Twist barrel Weatherby MK-V, IF it's, an OLDER German one.
It will shoot, the 130 grain Bullets best and either of, the 4895's should "work"
But, IMR 4350 @ begining chgs would be, My choice with, a 130 Boattail if, they "shoot" and IF, not,..
use beginning Book charges of, IMR 4350 with, Sierra 130 gr. Pro Hunters or, 130 gr. Hornady Interlocks, both are, Flat Based, IF all else, Fails !
My German .270 Wby MK 5's liked, the Hornady Interlock, 130 gr. FB's and 4350, real well and the Deer / Antelope, dropped, DRT
I believe soetimes in the '60s while still been made in W. Germany, they went from 12 twist to 10. My MKV is a 1959, so is a 12 twist.
Anyways, I just thought about it, He can always call Hodgdon and they will give him a safe starting point.

On days where I anticipate a long set of sessions I carry a thick dish towel and fold it so it's long and I can put it under my t shirt and across my shoulder. It takes alot of the sting out of full house loads in light rifles. You can take a break and fluff it back up and go again.

I've done some down loads with trail boss, but your not going to get much more than 1600 fps. Hogdon recommends dedicated brass for it.

I've done reduced loads for a 270 wsm, so 5 grains of case capacity less than a Weatherby. Used 130 custom comps for a 6.8 spc over a middle load of retumbo for the 150 class bullets. Never had a hang fire, just low speeds with pretty solid case fills. Made for a very mild recoil impulse.

As said above. Looks good to me. I have used IMR4895 for reduced loads in 30-06. Cast & jacketed. Works well. Used IMR 4198 in 6.5 Creedmoor for reduced jacketed loads also. Avoid double based powders for reduced loading.

The Hodgdon website has 2 loadings using H4895. The Youth Load data could be used.

A reduced load with 100 gr Speer bullet & H4895 @ 40 grs would be the starting load. Check my math.
Screenshot_20230826-090027_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to provide an update on this unique project. A fine gentlemen from Hodgdon was on the phone with me for over a half hour on Wednesday talking through the possibilities. His strongest suggestion was to use Trailboss and to use the 'load it to the base of the bullet' method for establishing max load, then back off as much as 30% from there, If I wanted to. This worked out fairly well actually. It printed the 124 Hammers at around 1960 fps, with very very mild recoil, ESs around 20-30 FPS and 1- 1.5 MOA accuracy.

The only bad part is if I want to keep the impact velocity above 1800 fps, this would make the max range ~75 or 80 yds. But we we are definately knocking on the door of something great, I think.

So, I ordered the 90 grain Hammers and intend to try them with both the trailboss (hoping to get 2300 fps) and with a starting charge of H1000 (hoping to get a full power load ~3000 FPS, with low recoil). Hoping for big things here! I'll keep you posted.

I'm impressed you found Trailboss!!! I've been looking forever for that here.
Glad yuu is found something that worked.

I have no loads for ya but, a lighter bullet will definitly reduce recoil. I used to shoot 220gr 30-06 but dropped down to 150gr big diff in recoil.

There are some online reloading resources. I mostly use Hodgdon and Nolser, but there are others. I have a few manuals on the bench too. I can be surprising the variance on some powders in a certain bullet weight across different sources of info.

I would recommend look through multiple books, online reloading sites, etc. You may stumble across a reduced recoil load in one of them if you browse around.

All I will say is use caution, reduced loads can create problems even within book parameters. I loaded some 222 rem at published data in a reliable reloading manual and the load was so over pressured I almost did not get my Savage 24 to open. I had shot many of them with no issues at all, but for whatever reason that particular day I could tell when it went off it was not right. I thought I had made a mistake and double charged a round so I took all I had loaded pulled the bullets weighed every charge (which I have always done with every round I load) and they were all right. Put everything back together continued to shoot them with no issues and then BOOM, another overpressure discharge. My only thought was how the powder was sitting in the case at ignition had something to do with it. I abandoned that project, and have never messed with reduced loads again. All I'm saying is you want to make sure you're not going below published data, and as I stated earlier, I did not, but I still had problems. Don't ever think just because you're reducing powder it makes everything safer, it does not, at least in some cases. You should be able to accomplish your goal, but lighter bullets might be a good idea too, and make sure you shoot plenty of your reduced charges to make sure there are no issues before you hand the rifle and load back to your friend. It has been said plenty on this forum and I so appreciate it, you cannot be too safe, there are horror stories out there, so caution is always advised. I've been reloading for almost forty years and that was as bad an incident I have ever personally had, but I know of a few that could have ended in serious injury or death, and it can happen on the lower end of powder charges as well as overcharging.