Slowing down a hot cartridge (don't hate on me for asking)

Keep the feedback coming folks. I love it. Jist to.be clear, I started at book minimum and the accuracy was acceptable. I do not need to concern myself too.much woth ES/SD as I nor.ally would. Thos is a 80-150 yd deer gun, for now. 1-2moa accuracy is fine (for now). I'm just wanting to reduce recoil. This is a frail older gentleman, and after 8 shots he was already starting to flinch. If there wasn't sentimental value in him using this rifle to take his deer from now on, we would be doing something completely different. I get that. Once I get to the charge that shoots 1-2 MOA, is safe, and is the lowest possible recoil without altering the rifle anymore, I will call it good. I'm only looking for ways to check all of those boxes.

Easy answer for reduced loads is H4895. My book shows 63.0gr - 66.0gr for 100gr so following their 60% rule you should be perfectly safe starting anywhere in the 40gr area and work up until you find a happy area of reduced recoil. Frankly so long as it's over 2300 fps it should kill deer just fine, though he won't likely get a spectacular Weatherby meat destruction like that same bullet screaming at 3500+ would do.

Screenshot_20230825-120342.png

Last edited:
Keep the feedback coming folks. I love it. Jist to.be clear, I started at book minimum and the accuracy was acceptable. I do not need to concern myself too.much woth ES/SD as I nor.ally would. Thos is a 80-150 yd deer gun, for now. 1-2moa accuracy is fine (for now). I'm just wanting to reduce recoil. This is a frail older gentleman, and after 8 shots he was already starting to flinch. If there wasn't sentimental value in him using this rifle to take his deer from now on, we would be doing something completely different. I get that. Once I get to the charge that shoots 1-2 MOA, is safe, and is the lowest possible recoil without altering the rifle anymore, I will call it good. I'm only looking for ways to check all of those boxes.
I think given the range limitation and the condition of this elderly gent I'd go with the lightest bullet and the slowest possible speed. Even 2 moa would be fine for this load. If I were doing to load I'd go with a cup and core 100 gr-110 grain and a starting load of slowest velocity in the load manuals.

Easy answer for reduced loads is H4895. My book shows 63.0gr as a start load for 100gr so following their 60% rule you should be perfectly safe starting anywhere in the 40gr area and work up until you find a happy area of reduced recoil. Frankly so long as it's over 2300 fps it should kill deer just fine, though he won't likely get a spectacular Weatherby meat destruction like that same bullet screaming at 3500+ would do.

View attachment 488745

Hey Burt. Thanks for that. H4895 seems like the answer. My book didn't show tgat powder as a possibility at all, so if your does, I feel much better about trying it. Can you screen shot the page to me in a PM a d/or tell me which book you're referring to, please. Thanks.

Hey Burt. Thanks for that. H4895 seems like the answer. My book didn't show tgat powder as a possibility at all, so if your does, I feel much better about trying it. Can you screen shot the page to me in a PM a d/or tell me which book you're referring to, please. Thanks.
I've done used that H4895 rule for 308 Win loads but I think I'd still call Hodgdon's for a case as large as a Weatherby Mag. It only costs a phone call.

NOTE: DO NOT USE H4895 WHERE THAT POWDER IS NOT SHOWN

Screenshot_20230825-123302.png

And, while this probably doesn't even need to be said, I'll feel better knowing it was said: IMR 4895 is not substitutable for h4895. Not trying to be condescending or captain obvious here, but some folks have had the desire to figure that one out for themselves. Don't.

View attachment 488761
Yep, could work with this bullet

Good morning,

I debated even posting this request, but I know know better forum to ask this legit question. Here is the quick story:

I have a new friend that I met at the range. He is an older gentlemen that has had this WBY Mark V in 270 WBY Mag. He shelved it a few years back because he couldn't get it to shoot well enough to be dependable. There is sentimental value in this rifle not to mention it is a Roy Mark V, so any self-respecting rifleman should want to jump at the opportunity to get this thing shooting. Firs thing I did before investing any time was to scope the bore. It was chucked full of powder fouling and heavy copper fouling. So, I spent 4 hours stripping all that out of it, to find that it looks to be a relatively low mileage rig. I then clearanced the barrel from the stock, to give the barrel a chance to float. Then I order up some 124 grain hammer bullets, and researched a good load.
This friend of mine as no intentions in the near future of using this rifle on anything larger than a whitetail deer, so I wasn't after lightening bolt velocity (I know here is where the hating might start). I researched two different approaches, with the intent of developing a slower, more mild recoiling load, and a higher velocity load. I stayed near the book minimum charge of H1000, and still got really snappy recoil, and over 3450fps. I was shooting for something down closer to 3000 FPS, which the book said I could get. The accuracy was 5x better than he was getting previously, so we called it a success on that front. However, I am still wanting to further reduce that load, and make it more comfortable to shoot.
I have never messed around with charges below the starting charge. Is this advisable/safe to do, and in this exact instance, how low can I go without getting into the weeds?
I have other powders available as well, but H1000 according to the Hodgdon website was supposed to be one of the lessor performing powders in this cartridge.

Suggestions on a lessor velocity load for this cartridge to reduce recoil for the guy?
I've got nothing

Good morning,

I debated even posting this request, but I know know better forum to ask this legit question. Here is the quick story:

I have a new friend that I met at the range. He is an older gentlemen that has had this WBY Mark V in 270 WBY Mag. He shelved it a few years back because he couldn't get it to shoot well enough to be dependable. There is sentimental value in this rifle not to mention it is a Roy Mark V, so any self-respecting rifleman should want to jump at the opportunity to get this thing shooting. Firs thing I did before investing any time was to scope the bore. It was chucked full of powder fouling and heavy copper fouling. So, I spent 4 hours stripping all that out of it, to find that it looks to be a relatively low mileage rig. I then clearanced the barrel from the stock, to give the barrel a chance to float. Then I order up some 124 grain hammer bullets, and researched a good load.
This friend of mine as no intentions in the near future of using this rifle on anything larger than a whitetail deer, so I wasn't after lightening bolt velocity (I know here is where the hating might start). I researched two different approaches, with the intent of developing a slower, more mild recoiling load, and a higher velocity load. I stayed near the book minimum charge of H1000, and still got really snappy recoil, and over 3450fps. I was shooting for something down closer to 3000 FPS, which the book said I could get. The accuracy was 5x better than he was getting previously, so we called it a success on that front. However, I am still wanting to further reduce that load, and make it more comfortable to shoot.
I have never messed around with charges below the starting charge. Is this advisable/safe to do, and in this exact instance, how low can I go without getting into the weeds?
I have other powders available as well, but H1000 according to the Hodgdon website was supposed to be one of the lessor performing powders in this cartridge.

Suggestions on a lessor velocity load for this cartridge to reduce recoil for the guy?
It's a Whitetail deer! I'd run the lightest bullet I could with some IMR or H 4350. If it shoots good enough for him who cares about ES/Sd. Cup and core bullets would be my choice like some 130 grain hp's. I used to use my 300 wby with 91 grains of 4350 and a Sierra 110 grain varminter hp. No tracking involved