Sighting In a Leupold

I have NO doubt that MANY coyotes have benn shot running at 350 yds. It was the "dead meat most of the time" that got me.

Cowboy

Amazing! You can hit running game out to 400-500 yds when your bullet is dropping aywhere from 1.5' to over 3' at 500 yds all with a 4 power scope. Personally, I could barely even see a coyote at 400 yards with a 4 power scope.

A 400 yard shot at a coyote with a 4 power scope is like a 100 yard shot with open sights except for ONE minor consideration. At 400 yards the bullet is dropping about 20".

What I use for a "general" coyote set up would be my .220 swift with 55g at 3925fps. Sighted in 2.5"high at 100, you can prety much hold dead on, or at the top of back of a yote out to 350. You still have to lead them suckers a ways, or my other general coyote buster is the .243 shoting the 55g btip at 4050fps. Sighted in at 2.5" high, its dead on out to 350. Hitting the running coyotes is a lot easier when all you have to do is worry about the lead, not the elevation. What I was saying from my experience, when you have a running yote say 350 yards, with my 200 yard zero's, you then have to hold over and lead. Just makes it to hard, especially when your in a hurry. Its just a lot easier to sometimes have a regular set up instead of a click set up for running coyotes is all I was meaning by it. I have hit many running coyotes from 200-400 yards, and I have missed just as many as well. Maybe I should have used a different choices of word instead of "dead meat" however, its a lot easier to hit them when all you have to do is somewhat guesstimate the range, if you know its about 350 or so, just lead them and start shooting. With a click set up, all you ahve to be off is 25 yards and your going to be shooting way low, and still have to worry about the lead. Anybody get what I'm saying???

25-06, Yeah I know what your saying. I used to shoot the 243 with 55b-tips. I zeroed for 300, problem was I would sometimes miss the mid- range shot of 150-225 yards because I would shoot over them. The longest I tagged one with that rig was 503 yards on a quartering away run.

neufdaddy, The 4x has a wide field of view compared to most higher powered variables. Shooting running game means target aquisition has to be imediate. Fumble with power rings and searching for a moving target equals a lost opportunity. 40 years ago most everyones glass was 2-4 power, and plenty of game was killed at the distance we are discusing. Practice makes perfect so you have to find and capitalize on every running shot you can get. Take you .22 and only shoot rabbits on the run. Or practice shooting pigeons out of the air with a .22. Crows are easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.