Sighting in the Leupold ballistic reticle

gube204

Just sighted in my 204 with the new Leupold VXL 6.5 - 20 x 56 extreme varmint reticle.

A bit confused in regards to using the additional aiming points at different power settings. As per the instructions, I am supposed to have a 200 yd zero and because I am using the extreme varmint, I am supposed to have it set all the way to 20x when sighting in. Then I should have aiming points for 3, 4, 5, and 600 yds (roughly).

My question is if I try to sight in on a sod poodle out at 400 yds and I get mirage at 20 power and have to crank back down to probably 10 to 15 (which is very realistic), will the additional aiming points still be the same. It does not appear that way to me. Is there a chart available that can be used for the different power settings for use of the extra aiming points?

You can call Leupold and speak to a tech. Ask them for the difference in stadia lines in inches at say 14x and then an accurate chart in Exbal or some program like that.

Pick a power that you like using other than the max and set up a laminated credit card size chart with one power on one side and another power on the other. All you have to know is the difference in the lines at a certain power to do that.

That can be done with any scope such as the Ballistiplex, Nikons etc.

BH

Thanks for the reply BountyHunter. I think I will give them a call. At the back of the instruction booklet they list another way to sight it in. Set up a large target and shoot a group at it from 500 yds away using the main crosshairs (200 yd zero) on the target. Impact will be signifacantly lower. Take a black marker and make a circle around the group of bullet holes and fill in the circle. Go back to the 500 yd mark and place the reticle back on the initial target spot. Now adjust the magnification untill the 500 yd hold over is in the center of the black dot that you made with the felt marker.
This can be checked at all of the hold over distances.
I would imagine that by looking through the scope at the two reference points and changing the power, one could get a pretty good feel of where those hold over points will be at at the lower magnifications. I have a lot of testing to do.

I use a TDS reticle at 6 and 9x to do the same thing and can go to 800 with a 300 WSM.

My brother uses 6-18x Swarovski TDS at 12x and 18x with a 300 hart and can go over 900 same way.

Easy to do with Exbal and small laminated cards for tailored for temp and elevation. Quick couple shots at location confirm zeros and away you go.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.