sighting in a Leupold CDS

fireworks

I have one of these on a 6.5X20X40mm Vari X III. My load is spot on and confirmed yet when testin at long range, out to 700 yards one shot is magic and another could miss entirely on a target size the mass of a game animal. It's not me, I'm using a lead sled calm mornings.
Anyone ever tried sighting in one of these in by 1st zeroing @100 as reccomended, then dialing out to 50% the turret range ( my case 700 so 350 yards ) and re- zeroing to tighten up the 350 area and going back out to 700 to see if the results are better? Just wondering before I blow 20 plus rounds testing this theory.

What size groups do you get at 100 yds? Are you using an anti-cant device?

No anti cant device, just a very well set scope and try to keep it plumb. I can get a 3 shot group that you can cover with a dime in one set, then it can broden out to about 2" in another. Same loads. Nosler 150 gr, ABLR .270 which I have read are extremely hard to get to stablize at 100. Alot of guys say they don't stablize until 200 or further.

I have had good luck with Berger VLD's and the turret for that setup doesn't give me the inconsistency this one does.

What's the data for MV and twist? If the twist is less than 1:9 that bullet won't stabilize adequately under about 4500 fps (Don Miller Twist Rule).
I believe it is counterproductive to zero at 100 and then "fine tune" at longer distances. I zero at 200 and leave well enough alone. There are too many uncontrollable factors affecting bullet path beyond 200 yards to try and make up for minor variations in group performance. For a hunting rifle, when the 200 zero provides me with 1.5moa at 300 I'm done.

"yet when testin at long range, out to 700 yards one shot is magic and another could miss entirely on a target size the mass of a game animal"

"I have had good luck with Berger VLD's and the turret for that setup doesn't give me the inconsistency this one does."

It isn't the dial on the scope...

No anti cant device, just a very well set scope and try to keep it plumb. I can get a 3 shot group that you can cover with a dime in one set, then it can broden out to about 2" in another. Same loads. Nosler 150 gr, ABLR .270 which I have read are extremely hard to get to stablize at 100. Alot of guys say they don't stablize until 200 or further. I have had good luck with Berger VLD's and the turret for that setup doesn't give me the inconsistency this one does.

I think the problem is with your ABLR load, not the scope. 2" groups at 100 yds are too big for accurate shooting at 700 yds. Occasional dime size groups can still happen with 3 shots. I prefer 5-shot groups for that reason.

To avoid sizeable shot-to-shot dispersion at 700 yds due to canting, you need either a rigid bipod, a level on the scope, or a good visual reference at the target so that you can align your reticle the same way every shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts