Leupold CDS

That's good advice and I'll try that when I get out. The range I like to use goes out to 600 yards. But at least now I can get accurate velocities
Let us know how it goes - I hunt at various elevations in different states etc, so I am just using the MOA turret that came on my VX5HD scopes and taping a ballistic table to the objective of the scope or my buttstock.

Seriously tho, if it is on a 22-250 and zeroed at 200 yards, it is going to be super close out to 400 yards. You probably won't see a material difference in POI until you really stretch it out because it is such a flat shooting cartridge

Let us know how it goes - I hunt at various elevations in different states etc, so I am just using the MOA turret that came on my VX5HD scopes and taping a ballistic table to the objective of the scope or my buttstock.

Seriously tho, if it is on a 22-250 and zeroed at 200 yards, it is going to be super close out to 400 yards. You probably won't see a material difference in POI until you really stretch it out because it is such a flat shooting cartridge
That's kind of what Leupold said when they adjusted the fps down. I'll only shoot it out to 600 at the range for fun from time to time. Not planning on making shots on animals that far. I'm not expecting this dial to be perfect but close enough to hunt with. Again I can always get a more exact FPS now that I'll have a chrono and order another dial. If it's way off.

That's kind of what Leupold said when they adjusted the fps down. I'll only shoot it out to 600 at the range for fun from time to time. Not planning on making shots on animals that far. I'm not expecting this dial to be perfect but close enough to hunt with. Again I can always get a more exact FPS now that I'll have a chrono and order another dial. If it's way off.

I just got a 6mm creedmoor for a designated yote slayer - I'll probably use a coupon for a custom turret for the first time on this gun for those same reasons.

Well just tested out the Magnetospeed. Average FPS for my 22-250 with 50gr Superformance is 3941.

nice now you've got something to work with when talking with Leupold...

normally they'll tell you that you dial will be good at 2000 ft below and 2000 above the elevation you got your MV at and a 15° temp change in each direction as well.

nice now you've got something to work with when talking with Leupold...

normally they'll tell you that you dial will be good at 2000 ft below and 2000 above the elevation you got your MV at and a 15° temp change in each direction as well.
I'm hoping it won't be far off with a 41 FPS difference. Probably expect it to shout a pinch high.

Without a chrono you should shoot distance and count your elevation correction and give them that info along with weather and elevation and bullet info.
I didn't read all the replies, but my $.02 is an add on to the post I quoted: even with a chronograph you should shoot distance to verify your drop (and true your data). There are other factors, such as turret adjustment precision and such (I would test that as well). Use the given BC and if available some chrony data to get you started on your drops, then shoot various ranges and adjust/fudge those input numbers accordingly. If no chrony then SWAG the velocity and go shoot, the drop data will help with that.
This isn't anything new, Leupold has made a CDS (BDC) turret since the 80's (well before my time with them). They had them on our 10X M3 Ultra/MK4 scopes on the M24 Sniper Weapon System (and somewhat one with the 3.5-10 on our M110). There are ways of using it even when it's "off" or when conditions change.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.