Sighted in my new .22-243 Middlestead today

Varminthunter: how do like that stock? I have one on hand now, but im not sure what I should do with.

HuntinFool:
I'm using 48.2gr RE22 with a Federal 210M primer and a Lapua case. Remember, my 22-243AI would have slightly greater case capacity than the 22-243 Middlestead.

Norhman:
The McMillan Hunter BR stock worked quite well for me. It rides the bags nicely when working up loads and the forearm is narrow enough to use with a bi-pod when afield.

I put a Shehane Trakker stock, with a 3" wide forearm, on my newest varmint rig in 6.5x284. It really is a bit much for varminting, even from the portable bench. Shehane does have a narrower model, I probably should have taken it instead.

Hey VH I've been doin' a little research. That A-Max bullet by Hornady beats most the others in BC by far. If it shoots good in my rifle I'll for sure be using it.

Going to order a box of them and see how they do if they do as well as the 69 MK. That'll be all I shoot. I like to get one good load and stick with it.

Chuck

HuntinFool

Only problem some shooters have with the 75gr A-Max in overbored cartridges with fast twist barrel is that some barrels just smoke em'. An 8 twist barrel causes considerable stress to the A-Max's thin jacket when launched at high velocity.

Hornady states that the bullet was designed to be fired at about 2,600 ft/sec and may come apart at 3,000+ ft/sec. My rifle has never dusted a single A-Max and every bullet has left a nice hole in the target (paper or varmint).

I moly coat and wax all of my A-Max bullets using the NECO kit. I also load them tight into the lands. The smoooth Hart barrel on my rig also helps reduce jacket stress. These 3 things combined seemed to have work together and allowed the A-Max to stay intact at velocities well beyond reasonable expectations.

Good luck

Thanks for the headsup VH. I'm not at all familar with them I've been a died in the wool Sierra man for a long time.

I'm not sure if I'll use moly or not might try it never have before . Wonder how the Lilja barrel I have will handle the A-Max!

Chuckster

Well I got me a box of 75 gr A-Max bullets. Headin' out to the range tomorrow taking the crony with me. Will let ya know how "The Undertaker" does with them!

Loaded up four different loads will hopefully settle on one real good load!

Will also check the load with the 69 gr MK to see what velocity they're kickin' out of that 26" barrel at!

Chuck

Well Gentlemen,

The jury is still out on the 75 grain A-Max. The loads I loaded and shot today were ok on the lower end. 40 grains of 4831 flew 3250 fps or so but the third load I shot didn't even make it to the target. I believe they disentigrated in mid air they cronographed around 3400 and up I didn't even shoot the last load I had for the 75 gr. A-Max at 43 grains of 4831.

The first group I shot with them seemed to go in one hole. But I could only see where 2 bullets went through. LOL! I'm not sure about that. My backer was about 3' by 3' solid tan back of a combat target. going to have to try that load again. I don't even believe it myself!

Going to have to do some more research and try some different loads.

The .69 gr Sierra MK's seem to be more stable. And by the way a 10 shot average of the 69 grainers was 3365 fps with 41 grains of 4831. I had estimated it at 3150.

Chuck

I called Hornady this morning. I spoke with a rep named Bob. I told him that I had a 26" 1 in 8 twist Lilja barrel. Then I told him a bought a box of 75 gr. A-max bullets. I told him that I didn't think they were making it to the target.

He chuckled and said that was the first thing that ran through his mind when I told him about my setup. "Wonder if they're making it out of the barrel." He said they were real fragile and if they weren't showing up on paper that they most likely were coming apart prematurely!

So I think I'll go back to my Sierras except I may try the 77 gr MK's this time around.

Chuckster

huntin: do you have any more pictures of that stock of yours? Some different angels?

To bad the A-max did not work.. would be an efficient, and cheap killer..

I don't at this time but I'll try and get some more for ya. Maybe in a day or 2 if that'll help.

Chuckster

Huntinfool ,

A little off the subject but I got a good laugh out of your famous last words signature. "Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey bro,

No , I didn't , thanks for the heads up . That is too rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a thought , but I wonder if Richard @ Wildcat bullets could make you some 80 gr bullets in the uld rbbt configuration ? What is your twist ?

I am presently testing some 210 30 cal that he made for me . They are for my 300 winnie and the results are getting more exciting every time I get to shoot . anyways ,

Jim B.

Hi Jimm,

I might check it out later this sping or summer. What's the deal with his bullets are they of superior BC or what? I'm not familiar with the terms ...uld rbbt configuration. My twist is 1 in 8.

The story about Union General John Sedgwick goes something like this...he was upset that his men were afraid of being shot by Confederate snipers. He hollered out the famous last words, "Don't worry men, why they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Shortly after he made the statement a Confederate sniper shot him in the neck with a Whitworth rifle!

Over the years it's sort of became a joke with the shot supposedly cutting him off in the middle of the word distance! The jury's still out on that, I guess we'll never know for sure.

But he was killed by a sniper from a great distance after making the statement!

Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.