my Magneto Speed came in today

i agree. strap on the ms to verify speed. take it off for score. what could be easier or more meaningful?

There is way more to it than that!!

I do, or at least I used to, practice and tweek constantley. I am talking my 1000 yard BR equipment with with I have won numerous national titles with. If I am geting 3-4 inch 10 shot groups at 1K with little verticle two days and then the third get 6 - 10 inch groups, I want to know why.
Shooting all of my groups at night through my IR screens tells me if I have developed an ES problem (loading bench induced) or the tune has changed (velocity) do to weather induced velocity change. Both would be documented.

I am wondering if strapping on a couple of oz will induce yet another variable to consider. The tune with and without must be different!! Yet, part of my brain is hoping that some laws of physics are not carved in stone!! :D My old way works great and tells me everything I need to know, but is a GINORMAS PITA.

I think I will get one...just to have, but will continue using my old method with my compitition rigs.

Mine is used for ELR shooting. When your shooting out to 2500 yards you want a low ES. Mine is 9 fps for 10 shots from 338 lapua imp. I have the v2 and have used it for a year. Also have PVM-21. The Magneto speed shows 3 to 5 fps faster that PVM-21. :D

I still have not had a chance to try out the new M S. I went on vacation and left it with my buddy and he did not get a chance to try it out. We are leaving for my cabin tomorrow and will be up there for 10 days. My buddy has a new 25-06 and I have a 308 that I need to work up a load for with some new bullets. I am goin to take my old pro chrono and will give a side by side compairison. I'llgun) be back.

I've had and used my v.1 since they first came out. The only accuracy change I could determine is a POI shift. The shift is predictable and repeatable, so no worries on load development. Buy one and never look back.

The difference in my old Pro Chrono and the MagnetoSpeed while working up some new loads for my 308 and my 22-250
Pro Chrono MagnetoSpeed
2528 2620 43 Varget
2603 2630 43.5
2499 2630
2482 2631
1768 2639
2533 2675
2642 2657
2518 2640
2542 2654
2556 2671
2542 2687 44g
2614 2655
2535 2666

22-250
3864 3922
3728 3887
3860 3916
3864 3918
3804 3889
3827 3909
I mounted the Magnetospeed and shot through the pro chrono. I bought the Pro Chrono in the early 90s. A lot of difference in FPS between the two on some of the shots. The rifles are Rem SPS varmint with heavy barrels. The point of impack did not change much when I took the MagnetoSpeed off the barrel, maybe an inch. I did shoot my best groups without the Bayonet on. But that was probably just me.

testing some loads today at 200 yds and before I quit for the day I shot a group with the magnetospeed bayonet on then took it off and My group went low 2". Group size was about the same.

When using the magnetospeed v3 to work up a load for my 308 with 168 VLDs, I kept getting 2 flyers consistently for every 6 rounds through my rifle. I just got it this June to replace a more traditional unit and was starting to think I'd never get the VLDs locked in. I took the MS off and low and behold, my group size stayed about the same, with the exception of flyers. Instead if a consistent 4 out of 12, I only got 1 in 12 and it was less than half the distance of the average flyer with the MS on.

I think that the magnetospeed is a useful tool, but now I only use it to gather velocity data, and do my group size workup without it on. I'm not a long distance competitor, so for me, it's just an aid to help me isolate velocities that potentially are creeping towards my pressure limits, and that group well. Works very nicely on loads out to 600 yards so far.

I did some primer testing today. Wanted to see what difference it would make between CCI 200 and WLRP. I also wanted to see how the groups were with the Magneto Speen Bayonet on and off. Here is the first target with the Bayonet on.
308 with MS1.jpg

I have not tested any of the speeds I have been getting with my V3, but does anyone else seem to be getting faster speeds with the V3 than with the V1 or V2? I am shooting the same ammo but seems like the V3 givers faster readings than the older models....maybe its just the heat?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.