my Magneto Speed came in today

Tnwhip

Ordered a MagnetoSpeed last Friday and it came today. Read the Instructions and messed around mounting it on one of my rifles this evening. Just to get use to mounting it.I have had a ProChrno sence the middle 90s. I have always wondered how accurate it was. I know it would lie to me sometime or just not read at all because of the light. After all the good feed back some of you have given the MagnetoSpeed I saved my pennies and got one. Can't wait to get to my range and try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the V2. For 1 year now I lave used it with good results. Lots of work with 338 lapua imp. Its still going strong.

I have a V2 that I have used once that I will sell for $300 plus shipping if anyone is interested. Or best offer.

Last edited:
The test that I want to see......Shoot some LR groups with and without. Now I am sure that impact points should change, but who cares about that. What I would like to know is if group size/shape changes with it strapped on. I know from much experiance that a BBL tuner, when adjusted an absurdly small amout, can drasticly change group size/shape at extended ranges.

Thanks,
Tod

Yes and No. If you put it on strait 1.250 = cylinder bore blank style then sometimes No . But sometimes on some cylinder bore to #17 krieger you will get same group but 1 moa high . Its honestly different for almost every barrel! I have about 4000-5000 rounds on mine. Have used it a 1 mile with 338 lapua imp. just subtracted 1 moa from Nightforce ballistics when dialing uP! So to be honest the ONLY way to no the on= off results is to thy it on YOUR gun! Barrel harmonics will be different on each gun. My opion is = the bigger round the barrell the less affect= At least thats the way it has worked for me!:D

The test that I want to see......Shoot some LR groups with and without....

Thanks,
Tod

OK, Tod. I've run the tests and in my experience the groups can vary depending on how the mechanism is attached to the rifle. HOWEVER, the chrono's job is to read velocities, not to support or improve accuracy. I use my MagnetoSpeed chrono to check the MV of a load that's already developed for accuracy. The MV, ES and SD information may cause me to make some adjustments but I always go back to the chrono for the follow-up MV data. Also, because faster is not necessarily better, I don't worry about lower velocity loads that still group nicely out beyond 800 yards.
If the shooter pays attention to detail and mounts the chrono correctly, the group results will be consistent (with the chrono mine typically print about 1.5 - 2 MOA higher than without it but the comparative spread on target is essentially unchanged) with or without the chrono attached to the muzzle.

My V2 is a year old - never had anything else that comes even close to its performance. Follow the instructions carefully and you're gonna love it.

Could not agree more. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Strap it on and shoot! No more sunlight induced errors and no more fiddling for 20 minutes at the line to get it setup. My ballistics charts are coming out great with the MV's input from the magneto speed.

I guess my reasons for my questions is this...I used to be MARRIED to ES as a long range bench shooter. I did ALL of my load development with it..right down to the final tuning. I shot almost exclusivly at night with my IR screens. And..I won...ALOT.

Now, I got kind of sick of all of the work involved with chronoing EVERY round down range...and don't win as much anymore. I know I can trust the accuracy of the MS as far as reading speed, I just worry about there being a whole nuther tune happining with it mounted on my gun.

I think the acronym for my disorder is OCD!! :D

Thanks for the info...

Tod

I guess my reasons for my questions is this...I used to be MARRIED to ES as a long range bench shooter. I did ALL of my load development with it..right down to the final tuning. I shot almost exclusivly at night with my IR screens. And..I won...ALOT.

Now, I got kind of sick of all of the work involved with chronoing EVERY round down range...and don't win as much anymore. I know I can trust the accuracy of the MS as far as reading speed, I just worry about there being a whole nuther tune happining with it mounted on my gun.

I think the acronym for my disorder is OCD!! :D

Thanks for the info...

Tod

Test your loads for velocity, only as your number to obtain accurate ballistics charts. SD and extreme spread is key in the 1000 yard game, not so much in short range BR. Once you have found your optimum charge weight node(s) remove the MS and test for tightest groups based on seating depth, irregardless of MV. IMHO the Chrono has a definite place in the process, but can be used beyond that to your detriment. What shows up on the paper doesn't lie!

Test your loads for velocity, only as your number to obtain accurate ballistics charts. SD and extreme spread is key in the 1000 yard game, not so much in short range BR. Once you have found your optimum charge weight node(s) remove the MS and test for tightest groups based on seating depth, irregardless of MV. IMHO the Chrono has a definite place in the process, but can be used beyond that to your detriment. What shows up on the paper doesn't lie!

i agree. strap on the ms to verify speed. take it off for score. what could be easier or more meaningful?

I just love mine. It is soooooooo easy to set up and take off. I sold my very expensive Oehler and never looked back.

MagnetoSpeed at the LRH Store.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.