Sighted in my new .22-243 Middlestead today

Huntinfool

I took my new .22-243 Middlestead out to sight her in. It's got a 1 in 8" twist Lilja barrel, Mod 700 action, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, 6X24 Sightron scope!

Today I shot 69 gr. Sierra MK over 41 gr. of 4831. Didn't do to bad considering the wind was gusting first this way then that 0 to 15 mph I'd say!

Feb.jpg

2 - 5 shot groups @ 100 yards!

07c41fac.jpg

d4fd9bb2.jpg

I think I'll keep this one!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chuck

Thas a sweet looking rig , what are the specs on the barrel like length and what sort of velocities are you looking to get?
I have a short action that I was thinking on building something like a long range 22 cal , I was thinking about a 22-243Ai with a 28" tube to shoot 75-80gr bullets

It's got a 26" 1 in 8" twist. I'm shooting the bullets I got with it. 69 Sierra MK but I'll probably end up shooting something a little heavier later on.

The best I can figure I'm getting about 3150 or close. I haven't had a chance to shoot it through then crony yet.

Today's the first time I've had a chance to get out with her. Truman Wilson the guy who built it said it should get about 2000 rounds at 3400 to 3500 fps before it goes South!

Chuck

[ QUOTE ]
It's got a 26" 1 in 8" twist. I'm shooting the bullets I got with it. 69 Sierra MK but I'll probably end up shooting something a little heavier later on.

The best I can figure I'm getting about 3150 or close. I haven't had a chance to shoot it through then crony yet.

Today's the first time I've had a chance to get out with her. Truman Wilson the guy who built it said it should get about 2000 rounds at 3400 to 3500 fps before it goes South!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I intended on shooting bullets that slow I'd stick with the 22-250 or 220 Swift. Crank that sucker up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How do you like the stock? How is it for shooting in different positions?

I have heard some say its bigger than other stocks... not sure if its true.

[ QUOTE ]

If I intended on shooting bullets that slow I'd stick with the 22-250 or 220 Swift. Crank that sucker up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Hey Varmint Hunter you go right ahead and crank her up. I didn't buy the gun for speed I bought the rifle for super accuracy and the abillity to handle the heavier bullets thus the 1 in 8" twist!

High velocity ain't everything!

Chuck

[ QUOTE ]
How do you like the stock? How is it for shooting in different positions?

I have heard some say its bigger than other stocks... not sure if its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I like it real well. It's a good all around stock I've had limited experience with it thus far yesterday was the first time I ever shot it!

As far as being bigger it has a flat foreend for a good bench rest platform other than that I don't consider it bigger at all. I think it's a good choice for the light varmint contour barrel of my Lilja barrel.

But I see know reason it won't perform in all positions! I've done a lot of offhand aiming with it and it works great off a bench. I'm sure it'll do good from prone position also!

Chuck

HuntinFool

[ QUOTE ]
LOL! Hey Varmint Hunter you go right ahead and crank her up. I didn't buy the gun for speed I bought the rifle for super accuracy and the abillity to handle the heavier bullets thus the 1 in 8" twist!

[/ QUOTE ]

The only guns that I find "interesting" are accurate rifles. You sure have one there. However, with that kind of accuracy you are going to be yearnin' for some more zoooom to make those long range varmint kills. I know - been there - done that. Either way, the 22-243 (fast twist) in any configuration is a blast to shoot. I had my best luck with the 75gr A-Max in my rig. The A-Max shot tighter groups than any of the match bullets. It killed varmints at unbelievable ranges too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes VH I'm sure I will try the heavier bullets with better BC. That's my ultimate goal. But since I recieved 300 69 gr Sierra MK I figured I'd shoot em up!

What load do you use for the 75gr A-Max and what Velocity did you get out of it!

Chuck

For you guys thinking about a 22-243 Middelstad, you might want to think about, using a 22br die, you should get a long neck and the 30degree shoulder.

There is a guy that did this with the 243 and 6BR die, and called it the 6TallBR, using the 22BR die, he calls it the 22TallBR

You get a 6mmBR or 22BR with 15-20 grains more powder.

HuntinFool,

[ QUOTE ]
What load do you use for the 75gr A-Max and what Velocity did you get out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

My rifle is chambered in 22-243AI. I only use moly coated bullets. A maximum load of RE22 zips a 75gr A-Max (moly) bullet out at 3,670 ft/sec with amazing accuracy. Best group to date was .625", shot @ 600yds. Yahoooo

Many kills were made between 500yds - 900yds.

347921.jpg

I hear ya VH then pigs see that pretty stock off at a great distance and they think it's just a pretty sunset Huh!!

Well I guess it is for them. LOL!

My neighbor and friend who sold me this rifle shot pd out in SD last summer out to 700 with it. He nicknamed her "The Undertaker" it's even laser etched on the barrel.

TheUndertaker001.jpg

Thanks for the info VH but what is your max load of powder. I know to be careful and start a little lower as each and every gun can be different.

Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.