Sig Sauer brass review

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Well I've had trouble finding good brass for the .300 win mag the past few years. My last lot was once fired brass from federal fusions, which were surprisingly the best I've come across in a while.

I picked up some Sig Sauer brass in 300 win mag because I need new brass and figured I would give it a try.

Here are results of the 50 pieces

By weight

254.4 grain HIGH
249.5 LOW
252 AVERAGE
Selecting a 3 grain range from 250.5-253.5 nets me 44 pieces. 3 were lower 3 were higher

By length

2.613 HIGH
2.603 LOW
2.609 AVERAGE
43 fell between 2.608-2.611.

By neck wall thickness

0.0165 HIGH
.011 LOW
.013 AVERAGE
45 fell between .012-.016

If I used the 3 different ranges I would keep 40 to reload.

It looks like I would have to run about 20 out of the 50 thru the sizing die because the mouth is quite out of round. I resize them all anyways but for those who wouldn't, their is a very high percent of damaged case mouths.

-Ken

Last edited:
Haven't reloaded any to test accuracy but I will post here when I do. I have 25 in federal fusion brass and 20 in Remington brass sitting waiting to test vs. the sig brass.

The range that you state for neck wall thickness is very high(.004" for 90% of the 50pcs). Unless there are burrs or some kind of deformity at the case mouth causing bad measurements that can be corrected in case prep, it would be difficult to establish a consistent neck tension within .001-.002". The last two lots of 300WM Norma brass I acquired gave neck wall thickness values of.0145"-.0150" for 100% of each 100pc box,

They were all adequately deburred. But it probably would have been a better idea to measure them after I resize them all because I could have been measuring over a wider area on the deformed ones.

I agree that is a ton of neck thickness variation. What are you using to measure that? If those are good measurements, the only way I would use them is after turning the necks.

Yep. Using .0005" calipers that I used for years at work. I'm measuring them correctly. It's pretty much junk. I'm going to have to neck turn them all the way down to .0125" to get 40 pieces out of them.

Yep. Using .0005" calipers that I used for years at work. I'm measuring them correctly. It's pretty much junk. I'm going to have to neck turn them all the way down to .0125" to get 40 pieces out of them.
I'm confident that you know how to use the calipers. You need to use a ball micrometer though to get accurate neck thickness measurements. Here is an example of the proper tool for the job https://www.brownells.com/reloading...r-starret-case-neck-micrometer-prod38096.aspx . There are less expensive ones that will be fine.

That's going to be more accurate but it still wouldn't account for the large variation I am getting. And yes that would be better because it avoids using the the flat tip on the calipers. There are sets I can use at work for ball mics.

Hope this doesn't become typical of the Sig brass. I know some earlier lots had very consistent necks as well as consistent weight. It was as good as my Norma brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.