Shoot em in the lungs šŸ«
There's a lot of lung behind the shoulder. Really, only the rear lobes extend behind the shoulder. I prefer to aim for the shoulder (when feasible) to hopefully shut down the CNS and get both lungs at the same time. So yes, shoot 'em in lungs lol. They hold the most blood too, and the heart still pumping will create faster blood loss than of you stopped the heart by hitting it.

175 TMK from 1903a3 coming out at 2780, 57.5 N555, ignited by 215Ms.

Range, 240 yards, game cam with .3 second trigger time caught the jug in mid air. Shot taken yesterday.

Screenshot_20221003-215127_Messages.jpg

Two years ago I dropped 2 does inside 200 yards with hot 77 TMK load, brass one and done (Mex Match MK262s) from a suppressed MK12 SPR. The does played dead where they stood. Autopsy, inside the damage was similar to Berger damage.

Last edited:
The TMK being a match bullet with a thin Jacket, I wouldn't hesitate to use it through a shoulder if needed. Have used the 162gr Amax on double lung shots, but have had a couple of shoulder shots and the bullets still reached the lungs and turned them to jello. I think the TMK would work the same way.

This has been in the 7mm-08, so the impact velocities were under 2,600 fps. Many of them exited the animals leaving a nice exit hole.

The TMK being a match bullet with a thin Jacket, I wouldn't hesitate to use it through a shoulder if needed. Have used the 162gr Amax on double lung shots, but have had a couple of shoulder shots and the bullets still reached the lungs and turned them to jello. I think the TMK would work the same way.

This has been in the 7mm-08, so the impact velocities were under 2,600 fps. Many of them exited the animals leaving a nice exit hole.

I've killed many deer and coyotes now with the TMK, as have many of my friends and customers. I've had zero issues and I've heard of zero issues as well. The sample size continues to grow, but I'm already convinced. Here's a few different pics of TMK damage, including my oldest boy's first deer a couple years back now.

0AB3018C-754B-4B8B-BC9D-C067F28D0720.jpeg
931A7638-0A6D-455E-BEEE-92F84754CA50.jpeg
394AE994-94C7-47C8-94CC-E0E8B359A967.jpeg
28356E9B-CBAD-4825-81A5-074655B1A1D6.jpeg
FC4997A9-3A89-40FE-8AC1-84C679FBF002.jpeg
66F5A7BB-4739-4DCB-9E2A-24B18943E5B1.jpeg
9ACF6477-5F64-443D-AE54-2D84D9C99597.jpeg
D9861987-F7FF-498C-9E7E-8BE9E38D28EB.jpeg

Exit šŸ‘†šŸ»
3B8AE5AA-0D98-4B59-A54C-CFB9870E5E4F.jpeg

@Petey308 "They're really nothing like the original GameKings. The original GameKings are the same as the regular MatchKings and Tipped MatchKings as far as jacket thickness and their core. The only difference between the SMK, TMK, and original GameKing is, depending on the particular GameKing, is it either has a soft point or large hollow point, compared to the polymer tipped TMK and open tipped SMK (OTM)."

This statement is wholly untrue. Gamekings have varying amounts of antimony in the lead core and varying jacket thicknesses based on the weight of the bullet and the intended cartridge and game for that bullet. Sierra builds bullets with specific velocities in mind and changes parameters to get the best performance for the expected velocity of impact. Read each bullet description and they talk about specific bullets having "double tapered Jackets" and "harder core".

@Petey308 "They're really nothing like the original GameKings. The original GameKings are the same as the regular MatchKings and Tipped MatchKings as far as jacket thickness and their core. The only difference between the SMK, TMK, and original GameKing is, depending on the particular GameKing, is it either has a soft point or large hollow point, compared to the polymer tipped TMK and open tipped SMK (OTM)."

This statement is wholly untrue. Gamekings have varying amounts of antimony in the lead core and varying jacket thicknesses based on the weight of the bullet and the intended cartridge and game for that bullet. Sierra builds bullets with specific velocities in mind and changes parameters to get the best performance for the expected velocity of impact. Read each bullet description and they talk about specific bullets having "double tapered Jackets" and "harder core".
In my experience in what I've cut apart, my tours to Sierra, the folks I know and talk to that work there (I live minutes away from the factory), says the ProHunters do vary and are not the same as the GameKings, TMK, etc, and yes you'll get subtle changes in thickness and taper depending on particular caliber and weight, but for all intents and purposes, they are the same and terminal performance between the cores and jackets would be indiscernible if all else we're equal.

I'm trying not to be nitpicky, but I know you could be, for sure, and argue there are technically differences. Yes, there are, so my apologies for being misleading.

It looks like a lot, but honestly it was less than 2lbs of meat lost and not the best meat anyways. Better than losing the whole deer from a poor performing bullet šŸ˜‰
I think it's fair to comment..., meat loss was minimized solely due to shot placement. Not because of bullet construction or performance.

I thought it was shot with a rocket propelled grenade.

I think it's fair to comment..., meat loss was minimized solely due to shot placement. Not because of bullet construction or performance.

I thought it was shot with a rocket propelled grenade.
Yeah, it's not what I'd call ideal and the TGK is not a bullet that I'd personally use. And yes, if the shot were placed in a different location, the amount of damage would have changed as well.

So your said you like the 195tmk. That's the 30cal 195, right?

I was planning to use this bullet on elk from an '06 size cartridge and 24" barrel, as quick as I could get it moving without trashing brass on a few shots. But, of course they're not available. I settled for the 185jugg. Awesomely accurate, it is.

Do you have any experience with that type of combo (195tmk) and a lung/no shoulder shot?

So your said you like the 195tmk. That's the 30cal 195, right?

I was planning to use this bullet on elk from an '06 size cartridge and 24" barrel, as quick as I could get it moving without trashing brass on a few shots. But, of course they're not available. I settled for the 185jugg. Awesomely accurate, it is.

Do you have any experience with that type of combo (195tmk) and a lung/no shoulder shot?
Yes. Ironically, post #47 above actually happens to be non-shoulder shots and the 195gr TMK. That eas a mix of 4 different deer and the bullet exited on all 4 deer.