Shoulder bump problem or no problem?

There's lots left to look at. Bumping the shoulders _that much_ just to get the round to chamber ... wow!!

The worst problem I ever encountered with 'sticky' brass was a batch of brass that was extra thick. Had to toss it.

I'd be looking at stuff everywhere with a magnifying glass.

View attachment 536530

Tidesloe: What am I seeing in the red circle above? Do you have the ability to cut a die in half across its circumference?
No I don't. I could have one cut I suppose but I'd like to exhaust all other possibilities first. I can't really see what you see in the picture but I have noticed brass gauge in the extractor groove. I'm assuming that may be what you're looking at in the pic. That would be something to look at more closely. I'm gonna make some phone calls today to the cartridge designer, and the guy who chambered the barrel, and go from there

There's lots left to look at. Bumping the shoulders _that much_ just to get the round to chamber ... wow!!

The worst problem I ever encountered with 'sticky' brass was a batch of brass that was extra thick. Had to toss it.

I'd be looking at stuff everywhere with a magnifying glass.

View attachment 536530

Tidesloe: What am I seeing in the red circle above? Do you have the ability to cut a die in half across its circumference?
Across its circumference I could with a die grinder. I thought you meant lengthwise?
In addition ADG brass, which is thick hard brass is the only option for this wildcat that doesn't really have a parent cartridge. I think WSM brass would work, but would leave the necks short. Real short.

Did you try cleaning it yet, see some said to clean it out, you have the fired brass and reamer, if it's clean and you have the same issue, talk with https://www.whiddengunworks.com/custom-reloading-dies/ and he can make you the correct dies if you need them.
I wouldn't go that route - his dies don't have a lot of beef for sizing web - I tried that route and the first die cracked and so did replacement.

No I don't. I could have one cut I suppose but I'd like to exhaust all other possibilities first. I can't really see what you see in the picture but I have noticed brass gauge in the extractor groove. I'm assuming that may be what you're looking at in the pic. That would be something to look at more closely. I'm gonna make some phone calls today to the cartridge designer, and the guy who chambered the barrel, and go from there
My soft advice is: Don't mess around with your chamber at the outset. I think I saw you might be polishing it up a bit. Some Flitz on a paper towel and a few seconds with a hand drill should at least tell you if there's a potential problem in there. If the marks in the sharpie change ... you'll see it.

A small base die might tell you something too.

Best of luck ... and stay warm!!

My soft advice is: Don't mess around with your chamber at the outset. I think I saw you might be polishing it up a bit. Some Flitz on a paper towel and a few seconds with a hand drill should at least tell you if there's a potential problem in there. If the marks in the sharpie change ... you'll see it.

A small base die might tell you something too.

Best of luck ... and stay warm!!
I don't think I'll try it on a brand new barrel and chamber, but see if it can be cleaned up with the same reamer that cut the chamber. However I think what your talking about just to see if there's a real problem there wouldn't hurt

Across its circumference I could with a die grinder. I thought you meant lengthwise?
In addition ADG brass, which is thick hard brass is the only option for this wildcat that doesn't really have a parent cartridge.
I think you see where I was going. If you can remove the top of a small base die, you can re-size the web with far less risk of a stuck case. Yeah ... it'll cost you some time and 40 bucks, but you'll _know_ whether the problem lies with the brass ... before you wind up having to buy a new barrel.

And ... if what I suspect is true ... you'll have the hardware to two-step size that brass ... and extend the life of it considerably.

Good tough question you've presented.

I may be completely mis-understanding the problem, but there was a company making a collet type sizing die for belted magnums (think Weatherby) to size the bottom of the brass without shoving the shoulder back a bunch. If you can't get it figured out maybe call them and see if they can make a die to do that for your non-belted case so you don't have to bump the shoulders back so much every time and overwork the brass.

I know it's a 2 step process and a PITA, but if that's what it takes so you don't overwork brass, then that's what you gotta do.

I think you see where I was going. If you can remove the top of a small base die, you can re-size the web with far less risk of a stuck case. Yeah ... it'll cost you some time and 40 bucks, but you'll _know_ whether the problem lies with the brass ... before you wind up having to buy a new barrel.

And ... if what I suspect is true ... you'll have the hardware to two-step size that brass ... and extend the life of it considerably.

Good tough question you've presented.
That is what I figure I'll end up having to do is make a base die and then use my current die to bump shoulders. That would be reasonable. I still think the burr needs to be addressed which should Improve the problem if not eliminate it

I may be completely mis-understanding the problem, but there was a company making a collet type sizing die for belted magnums (think Weatherby) to size the bottom of the brass without shoving the shoulder back a bunch. If you can't get it figured out maybe call them and see if they can make a die to do that for your non-belted case so you don't have to bump the shoulders back so much every time and overwork the brass.

I know it's a 2 step process and a PITA, but if that's what it takes so you don't overwork brass, then that's what you gotta do.
Yes, but 2 steps is not the worse thing that could happen

Avoid whidden. Theyre aluminum.. worst dies ive used on multiple guns. Hornady actually has the fastest turn around time. Last 4-5 sets i ordered i got in 8-10 weeks. They're cheaper and better imo.
I would go custom not much money and saves a lot of time.

Keep in mind for decades many reloaders followed die instructions and screwed the die in til it touched the shellholder and resized to sammi specs - typically at least .008 or more. So its not OMG situation just not ideal.
I agree although I'd like all the brass life I can get, and I don't yet know if I've fully formed to my chamber yet. I could have to end up sizing more than that. Seems to me if the burr doesn't solve the problem, a 2 die solution is what I'll end up doing

Avoid whidden. Theyre aluminum.. worst dies ive used on multiple guns. Hornady actually has the fastest turn around time. Last 4-5 sets i ordered i got in 8-10 weeks. They're cheaper and better imo.
I would go custom not much money and saves a lot of time.
Hornady is the fastest in everything. Not sure how they manage that, but they do. My die is Hornady, and I would imagine I'll end up talking with them also