Shoulder bump problem or no problem?

That would be a tough one. I suppose something like that could be going on. Like you I see no marks in that area after I've sharpied my case. I'll measure it and see what I've got. This could also be a possibility.

I had to inspect the case very very closely to see the line in the sharpie that the chamber contact created because it looked like it was right on the corner of the chamber neck shoulder junction.

I found some interesting things last night in sizing cases and taking measurements and trying them in the chamber after sizing. It's hard to explain without pictures, but I'll try.

Using my Hornady case comparator, I shoot for a sized measurement of 1.809. this gives 0.003 shoulder setback for my chamber.

When sizing with the expander ball in the die, the neck diameter near the shoulder junction is increased quite a bit and I'd get stiff chambering even when the comparator showed 1.809. I pulled the expander ball and sized a case which came out to 1.807 or so with a uniform neck diameter across the whole neck. That case chambered freely. So I thought maybe the expander ball was screwing things up when pulling it back through the smaller neck.

I adjusted the die without the expander ball installed to give 1.808 or 1.809 and sized a few cases.

I then took my Lyman M neck expander die and expanded the necks on those after using the FL die without expander ball. The comparator measurement grew to 1.809-1.810 and also increased the neck diameter near the neck junction a bit!! These cases chambered pretty freely for the most part.

So what I found was that for some reason, even when using the Lyman M expander separately, is that the shoulder is being moved upward (or lengthening?) to some degree when expanding the neck, which happens to a greater degree when using the expander ball. It seems that the shoulder might be moving more closer to the neck in comparison to where my comparator tool hits the shoulder.

I have no idea why this happens, but I don't like it. It never happened that I'm aware of with Peterson brass. It could be the fireforming process pushing more of the shoulder material into the neck and junction area than what happened with the Peterson. I'm not sure if it's a function of the brass or if it's due to my fireforming. I did have some wonky cases that didn't chamber quite normally when fireforming, so it is either that or the brass itself. The Lapua also takes about 2 seconds longer in my induction annealer to glow compared to the Peterson.

A note on the contact you're seeing around the 0.200 line. I had a faint mark there in mine as well, just on one side and in a small spot when I sharpied the whole case. My measurements indicate I definitely have clearance there, so I think the mark/rubbing might be from the ejector pin pushing the case sideways the tiniest amount. I only saw it on a case where I only had 0.001 clearance, so it wouldn't take much cant of the case to cause contact there.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know for sure other than I have measured before and after as I'm bumping shoulders back. I didn't write #'s down but did at the point that all interference went away, and that had my shoulders pushed back .008 from fired. Base to shoulder datum and I've tried two different bump gauges and get pretty much the same result, but after fired I'm at 1.771, and bumped till that interference is gone is 1.763 It's a .338 Sherman Mega. It seems that other than the small marks on my brass that it would be sized enough at the web, just 2 small points of contact. One at the web, one at the shoulder. I'll try to get a pic of the mark well enough to see.
Is your chamber the "B" chamber?

Yea! Anyway, my point was to think about taking a look at that area of the case since we're doing about the same thing in fireforming and that's what my problem is. It could be a neck donut deal ... If that's what mine is.

On a couple of my cases, even when I used the mandrel instead of the expander ball, the case was very tough to chamber. So it's possible you have something like that going on. Sharpie on my case didn't help a ton in figuring out root cause

In the Mega there is no A/B chambers. Only the SAUM based cartridges (SS, SST, and Max) have an A/B chamber. This one is a 338 Mega and there's only one reamer spec.
Good to know. Thank you. Sounds like others on here have potentially got you headed in the right direction. Good luck on getting this figured out.

PH

Yea! Anyway, my point was to think about taking a look at that area of the case since we're doing about the same thing in fireforming and that's what my problem is. It could be a neck donut deal ... If that's what mine is.

On a couple of my cases, even when I used the mandrel instead of the expander ball, the case was very tough to chamber. So it's possible you have something like that going on. Sharpie on my case didn't help a ton in figuring out root cause
It could be I suppose. I'm cleaning my one unsized case at the moment, and will sharpie the entire thing up and try it again. I will look at that a little harder.
Good luck with yours, and keep me filled in on your progress. I've forgotten, what cartridge are you working with?
I'm using a neck bushing with mine. .363, so any donut I wouldn't think is getting pushed to the outside. Anything is sure possible though. I'm looking at everything and hopefully something will make sense.

Last edited: