scope problem

shooter53

just wondering if you guys have an answer, A friend of mine has a scope i think its a hawke if he alters windage, his height of POI changes any thoughts as ive heard other shooters have had this

could be a bad scope . if the scope is not set up true to the rifle , will cause this too . a tall target test will show this .

another article worth reading .

could be a bad scope . if the scope is not set up true to the rifle , will cause this too . a tall target test will show this .

another article worth reading .

thanks it makes sense as soon as we get a windless day i shall sort it stay safe, shooter53

I have been using a Hawke Sidewinder for 10 years or so. So far there has not been any issue with it. I've had it on three different rifles. It's still in use today.

It may have a lifetime warranty. Check the model with Hawke.

Like others said, First thing to always check, is the scope mounted level and correctly! My first scope, a couple of lifetimes ago, mounted at the "sporting goods store" where I bought it, was mounted 90 degrees off.
If it is mounted correctly, then it would have to be the scope.

I have been using a Hawke Sidewinder for 10 years or so. So far there has not been any issue with it. I've had it on three different rifles. It's still in use today.

It may have a lifetime warranty. Check the model with Hawke.
hi thanks, im going to try what jimbires suggested to make sure the scope is plumb

just wondering if you guys have an answer, A friend of mine has a scope i think its a hawke if he alters windage, his height of POI changes any thoughts as ive heard other shooters have had this
When he alters it...does it go up and left one way...and down and right if he goes the opposite direction? If so Jimbires has given you the answer....I had this happen and after extensive time and expenses...discovered it was the one piece 140.00 base that was canted...check the bases...not just the scope.

Last edited:
If you adjust elevation and the windage changes the chances are the scope reticle is not mounted vertical to the bore. Because of this slight off center positioning whenever you raise or lower elevation the windage will change according to the amount the scope is off. This is extremely prevalent with tactical scopes if not mounted perfectly level in relation to the bore. To check this at preferably 100 yards put up a target, take a well aimed shot at your zero, then raise the elevation to what would be a 400 or 500 yard shot. Carefully take another shot. The second shot (or group if you prefer) should be straight up from the first without any change in windage left or right. Bubble levels and bore sights will not be accurate enough to perfect vertical movement unless you are very lucky. I use bubble levels and a laser bore sighter to get close then make the final adjustment using a Barska Boresighter. It is a kit containing mandrels for the various calibers and a grid panel that attaches to the mandrel. It is adjusted for vertical using the cross hairs of the scope. If the scope is not exactly vertical the crosshairs will not line up with the grid. Adjust the scope so the crosshairs align up with the vertical grid lines and now you have a scope that should track perfectly up and down without chnging the windage. This is very important for those of you who shoot at long distances where a half inch of windage drift when going out to 1000 yards means a 5 inch difference in the point of impact.

When he alters it...does it go up and left one way...and down and right if he goes the opposite direction? If so Jimbires has given you the answer....I had this happen and after extensive time and expenses...discovered it was the one piece 140.00 base that was canted...check the bases...not just the scope.
thanks will do