Should we relax crossbow hunting regs?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a report that says it would be a good idea for the health of hunting today if states would relax the regs to encourage more crossbow hunting. I will be crossbow hunting starting this fall. But what do you think?

Attachments

• TenPoint-Data-2009(Updated).pdf
    567.5 KB · Views: 254
I feel that they were ok as they were (Handicap permit required for big game)

"BUT" If a person wants to fill his tags with a crossbow who am I to object.

It is the same argument as the muzzle loader issue .

If it were me I would have one season and any legal weapon could be used and the
hunter would have to decide which to use.

Special seasons mean special interest and I believe that there should be no special interest
only freedom to chose.

This thread will probably get heated but it is just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

That is a very intelligent article from every standpoint that I am familiar with.

Idaho who lags about 30 years behind the rest of the nation had a restriction on vertical bows that it could not be over 60% letoff. My comments to them when they had public comment on their regs three years ago was that they were regulating against the bow hunters over 55 years of age who would have less shoulder strength and more likelihood of shoulder damage and that if they wished to retain the older bowhunters they should eliminate the archaic letoff rule.

I also agree that when my kids were involved in soccer and music lessons every weekend I just had no time to practice with a bow and very little time to hunt. If we wish to retain hunters in the sport then we have to make it adaptable to the person'[s situation

I hunt in Maryland which has either type legal with an only vertical period in the middle. I cannot find enough advantage to a cross bow to buy one to replace a 340fps 80% letoff vertical bow.

Unless I missed it somewhere, there is one point they did not cover and that is the health of the archery manufactures and their continued profitability and existence. New products and new customers are good for their business.

I have an archery deer tag and an archery hunter's choice elk tag for Utah this season.

I sometimes wonder where do the folks regulating this stuff come up with some of the regulations...60 lb let off or hunt with a vertical but not a crossbow...Geeeezzzz.

Open the season for all with any legal weapon and stop making hunting regs look like something from the IRS.

Lastly, I was concerned with the overall decline in the number of hunters nationwide. Some might disagree as less hunters =less competition. However IMHO with more hunters comes a larger voice, gun rights advocates etc.

Thanks for sharing Len.

Hunting numbers are declining, which is exactly what the anti's want!

If a crossbow gets a new hunter to start OK, let them start here and work their way to other venues of hunting.

BB's 340 fps bow and little time to practice is classic justification for crossbow IMO for many archers. Almost any bow that is 80% letoff and 340 fps, probably has extremely low brace height (under 7" and as low as 5.5"), which makes it super critical on release, highly subject to torque and is shooting superlight arrow with light head and low FOC and an archer with a long draw in order to get that speed. In perfect world, with perfect release and perfect side vitals shot, it will kill easily but it is not a forgiving setup without a high level of proficiancy, which BB has from what he has posted. If you have all those, then no issues, but that is hard for most bowhunters to maintain that level of proficiancy and to take only those type shots.

All of this is overcome by practice and perfect technique, which not everyone has time to do and maintain the perfect form. However, many bowhunters go to the superfast setups without understanding the trade offs and proficiancy skill level required to routinely make it work.

In fighting on the type of bow, let off of bow, type ignition, muzzleloader or not, length of bullet, sights, power of scope etc etc is only hurting hunting.

Again, to the delight of the anti's.

BH

If it were me I would have one season and any legal weapon could be used and the hunter would have to decide which to use.

Special seasons mean special interest and I believe that there should be no special interest only freedom to chose.
Couldn't agree more. I'm always amazed at how strong man's desire is to control other men. So long as you don't negatively impact someone else I'm in favor of you doing whatever the hell you want. "Live Free or Die" :) (it's on my license plate)

I agree with most here......what ever it takes to get more hunters in the field.

My son who is now 10, would have been bow hunting a couple years ago if cross bows were legal here in Illinois.

I'm fine with it, unless your using the PSE Tac-15, thats like cheating... I really like wisconsins stance on it, You can use one if your over 65 or have a doctors excuse. With the efficency of todays bows you dont need to draw 70# or even 60# to kill anything.

zuba, I don't own, hunt or know too much about bows but, just curious what is it about a PSE Tac-15 that is cheating?

ICANHITHIMMAN, there's lots of neighboring states...any thought about possibly being able to go where the regs are more relaxed so you can get the wife back into it?

I've been mulling this over all day, I hate crossbows! But, I think that it should be a legal means to kill game and would support anyone wanting to hunt with them.
I really like how MT deals with crossbows, you can use them but only during general season and as a hunter you follow general season rules like wearing orange. In MT though we have so much space and such a long season compared to most that FWP can give both bow and general a good long season without people at each other and without having to only hunt with one weapon, I can hunt from opening day of bow to closing of general.
In my mind the ideal thing would be to have a bow, crossbow/traditional muzzle loader and general seasons without having to choose a specific weapon. In some states this just wouldn't work but it's a general thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.