Practical hunting ranges for elk hunting with a crossbow

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I have a crossbow for a few years and have barely shot it, even though I built a 140 yard range on our property. Now I can use this for the archery season here and have a chance to draw an elk tag in a very good area, and have people with experience there to help me, since I am disabled.
Hitting something and killing it can be two different things. There is nobody around here with any experience as to what the effective range of a crossbow is. I can remember long ago when a standard compound bow range of 80 yards was considered extreme and the arc and trajectory was a long time of flight like a rainbow. I have never lost a game animal and do not want to start at this late stage of life, especially to such a vigorous animal, as Elk can be.

WW

Hello,
I have a crossbow for a few years and have barely shot it, even though I built a 140 yard range on our property. Now I can use this for the archery season here and have a chance to draw an elk tag in a very good area, and have people with experience there to help me, since I am disabled.
Hitting something and killing it can be two different things. There is nobody around here with any experience as to what the effective range of a crossbow is. I can remember long ago when a standard compound bow range of 80 yards was considered extreme and the arc and trajectory was a long time of flight like a rainbow. I have never lost a game animal and do not want to start at this late stage of life, especially to such a vigorous animal, as Elk can be.

WW
Depends on the bow, anything at over 400+ fps will drop any elk at 50 yards easily maybe more, arrows and broadheads must be top notch, this one was taken at a hair over 50 yards with a Ten Point Vapor RS 470 and a silver flame fixed broadhead he went about 75 yards unknown he was hit , it appeared before crashing down. The hard part is getting within range thick cover is your friend but be wary of arrow deflection. The shot while bad hit the jugular and he bled out quick arrow can be see n broken off sticking out.

Attachments

• ed1.jpeg
    ed1.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27

Recent Posts