Shot groupings

JMack

Same bullet, 3 different loads. Two have the same powder charge but different primer. Does this ever frustrate any of you? Is this a glitch in my reloading process?

First two shots touch then….all shot on same day. Cool barrel. And they are all about 1"

I did not rotate the picture it's three different targets.

Attachments

• CA0C8C03-1AD3-4EB0-B979-BE6AC9331A18.jpeg
    CA0C8C03-1AD3-4EB0-B979-BE6AC9331A18.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 214
  • CAD9A791-3EF0-4CD4-9A60-D7FD26A34912.jpeg
    CAD9A791-3EF0-4CD4-9A60-D7FD26A34912.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 133
  • E4C9A7F9-DC4B-47F5-99CC-B2BFD964C0F1.jpeg
    E4C9A7F9-DC4B-47F5-99CC-B2BFD964C0F1.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 147
Here is some causes from a problem just like you are experiencing.

Here is some causes from a problem just like you are experiencing.

Thanks man!

I really need to see 5 shots, the order shot and time between shots to really understand this much.

It is some kind of instability….load? Bedding? Rest? Technique?

I really need to see 5 shots, the order shot and time between shots to really understand this much.

It is some kind of instability….load? Bedding? Rest? Technique?
I'm going to load some more up and redo it.

Thanks

I had this same issue with my 7-08 about a month ago. Loaded another batch and no flyers. The difference was 15 degrees cooler and more time between shots on the second outing. I looked and found the thread SPitty posted above before the second outing. Lots of good information in the archives here!

My 6.5 Grendel was having issues until I changed to R7.5 primers, tighten up my groups and it has been consistent.

What was the velocity doing?

Yes primers can do that because of burn rates, flame, etc.

Do 5 shots rather than 3, gives you better data to analyze

My 6.5 Grendel was having issues until I changed to R7.5 primers, tighten up my groups and it has been consistent.

What was the velocity doing?

Yes primers can do that because of burn rates, flame, etc.

Do 5 shots rather than 3, gives you better data to analyze
Haven't checked velocity and yes I should probably let barrel cool more between shots. It's 20" light sendero carbon.

I'll load up 5 at one of the charge weights and take more time shooting a group. This is a hunting rig.

I suspect that I'm at a good node just need to finalize with some tweaking but I could be wrong. I have not done any seating depth test but I'll do that as well along with velocity

Thanks appreciate the feedback

Since this is a hunting rig. If all first 2 are touching, find the smallest velocity spread and use that load.
Even a 1" group at most hunting distances is acceptable. Unless going after varmint size critters.
Save components for the hunt.

I was told to stop calling them flyers. If the bullet leaves the barrel your responsible for it. Truth hurts but it made sense. We often times chase our tails, especially with factory guns. The target is telling you what the gun will do. If the group was 2-3 MOA you might invest more time, but at 1 MOA it might just be a 1 MOA gun. Like someone else said 1 MOA for big game will get the job done if you do yours. This may not seem helpful or may not apply, just something to chew on.

Have you tried shooting it out past 100? I've seen a phenomenon where some guns that will shoot like that at 100, but stay tight out to 200-300 and beyond. Same guy who gave me the advice builds custom rifles. Shoot one of his 6.5s the other day. It was a little better than yours on paper at 100, but a shot time later shot several sub groups at 200.

Last edited:
I have not gotten past 100 yet mostly because the weather has been crap when I have a chance to shoot. I sneak in a trip to a close to home range.

Agree on don't call shots flyers unless you call it before you see the impact. Flyers are based on your final sight picture being off as the shot breaks and you know it was a shooter mistake. If you look where it lands and then call it off, you're basically lying to yourself. Don't let yourself do that to yourself.

I also agree about taking more shots because you could obscuring the real size of the group with limited samples to work off of.

But in your case with the 2 in-1 out being repeatable, my bet is bedding or barrel.

I had this same issue with my 7-08 about a month ago.
I had this issue with my 300 WSM after a rebarrel. I was convinced the barrel was bad. I found variation in my runout. First, I loaded 50 and sorted for all under 0.007" runout.

Those all shot around 0.5" 3 shot groups. One was 0.08"!

I fixed the die issues.