3 shot groups…

So true! A few times a week at our range (that goes out to 600-yards) big black unmarked SUVs carrying any combination of FBI, Homeland Security or other Dept show up. The new guys run out the targets or work the pits, depending on what range they're shooting that day, whilst the others setup. They lie down prone or shoot off improvised perches, e.g., tipping a range bench on its side, etc.

One shot each and they're done! They're in and out in 10-minutes or less ... happens 2-3X weekly. Yeah, I'd say they're all keeping copious notes on their cold bore shots, plus the given ambient conditions.
You might want to take mental inventory of who they have intended for those rounds...

FYI, an easy way to do that is to run a few patches of 'Lock-Ease' down the bore. Erik Cortina, a noted F-Class champion, swears by it.

View attachment 475886
That stuff in the bottle doesn't dry out. I use the powder form like the imperial case neck stuff, but get it off Amazon for far cheaper per ounce.

So, you clean as usual and lastly run a patch with this? Thanks
Clean as usual, then I patch a degreaser, like K&N oil filter cleaner, or the like. Give that a couple minutes to dry and then hit with a patch soiled black in the dry graphite. Short stroke to work it in and a few long strokes. Boom.

I think shooting is like any other sport. One does better with a warmup. Guns settle into bags with more shots and the bags become more compacted. Everything about the setup matters. Shooting prone off bipods or sitting on a bench changes how you hold the gun and can effect zero. Practice constantly until the season so you are 'warmed' up for the main event. I think this is more important than a 3 or 5 shot one off test.

I like to do cold bore and cold rifle first shot hits after I've confirmed a zero. 5 to 10 rounds are pretty good at verifying zero, especially if you haven't warmed up.

Try several different zeroing shot strings to see what they look like. Grab a barrel cooler if you plan to shoot longer strings.

Ive found cold bore shots are inline with my 5 shots if tuning is right. Most of the time i start my load work at 100 doing 5 shot groups. I find the best. But i dont find a random best i want to see a trend to getting to its best. Then take those too 830 yards (where my target is). And shoot 3 shot groups of those. Seperate day different temps. Ill see which load shoots good and is close to its velocities the day before. Then ill take it out too 1000 with a cold bore +4. Verify bc

Clean as usual, then I patch a degreaser, like K&N oil filter cleaner, or the like. Give that a couple minutes to dry and then hit with a patch soiled black in the dry graphite. Short stroke to work it in and a few long strokes. Boom.
My process is a bit different. I use a patch well soiled in graphite and run it down the barrel once. I then follow that with a used, clean patch one trip down the bore. Graphite is crystalline carbon and I feel a little carbon in my barrel is good, too much is bad and it's time to clean again.

So true! A few times a week at our range (that goes out to 600-yards) big black unmarked SUVs carrying any combination of FBI, Homeland Security or other Dept show up. The new guys run out the targets or work the pits, depending on what range they're shooting that day, whilst the others setup. They lie down prone or shoot off improvised perches, e.g., tipping a range bench on its side, etc.

One shot each and they're done! They're in and out in 10-minutes or less ... happens 2-3X weekly. Yeah, I'd say they're all keeping copious notes on their cold bore shots, plus the given ambient conditions.

It's frightening to know that the enemy of our freedoms are knowledgeable in firearms! memtb

many many super tight 3 shot groups that are not a tuned load. You can fake it to make it too 1000 yards though
So true. But for unfamiliar rifles or cartridges 100 yards is a place to start. Oddly it's also the finishing line so to speak in that once the combo is sorted I go back to 100 to set zero.