3 shot group?

N2TRKYS

What causes a 1st shot "flier" and shot 2 and 3 touching? This happened today with a SD of 6.6 and an extreme spread of 13.

Also had some different loads that had the 2nd shot as the flier with shot 1 and 3 touching.

The rifles aren't bedded. My plan is to load 10 rounds of the most accurate load. Then I'm gonna shoot 5 rounds at 100 yds and 5 at 200 yds.

Thoughts and opinions please. Thanks.

What causes a 1st shot "flier" and shot 2 and 3 touching? This happened today with a SD of 6.6 and an extreme spread of 13.

Also had some different loads that had the 2nd shot as the flier with shot 1 and 3 touching.

The rifles aren't bedded. My plan is to load 10 rounds of the most accurate load. Then I'm gonna shoot 5 rounds at 100 yds and 5 at 200 yds.

Thoughts and opinions please. Thanks.

The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor in accuracy. :):cool:gun)

Last edited:
After the nut is tightened up, this is one of the most common questions on three shot groups.

It may not be a flyer at all. Could just be the accuracy potential of the rifle and/or the rifle needs to be bedded. I would shoot two 5 shot groups at 100 yards at targets that you can overlay to see how all 10 shots have grouped. That may bring something to light. I would not shoot one of the 5 shot groups at 200 yards. That is likely to introduce another variable that could muddy the water some.

Bedding is the first thing. Then seating depth, powder charge, primer can all do this. It maybe your gun don't like that bullet or that is as accurate as your gun is.

I have a Remington 7400 in 30.06 that will always put the first round about 1" high and right of subsequent rounds at 100 yds.. Rounds 2 through 5 will be touching or nearly so. I attribute this to a cold bore. So, since this is a hunting rifle, I have my scope set for my cold bore shot. If I have to make a follow up shot, I can adjust for that. Would rather adjust for follow up than on the first shot. This is a rifle that I used before I started handloading. I may take some time to play with this rifle a bit and see if I can eliminate the cold bore difference.

My son has the same rifle in .308 that does not have a different cold bore shot vs. warm bore shot. His rifle will shoot 3 touching using Silvertip 168's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.