Short(er) barreled .338 RUM

Yesterday I spent the whole day with this thing. Took everything apart (except barrel), cleaned and reinstalled. Scrubbed the barrel totally clean, remounted the optics and hardware. Then put my original load through it, simply because I already had some loaded, and got this (the picture is rotated 90 degrees left; the shot on the left is really on top):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 57
I let the rifle sit out of the sun and cool for about thirty minutes and messed with a buddy's newly built .300 WinMag. After it was totally cooled I fired two more to see what would happen and got this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 55
That thing gets hot quick with the suppressor on (and 100 degree heat index). So I let it sit and totally cool again, and fired a couple more (this time without the suppressor):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 54
Sorry about the multiple posts, can't get more than one picture to load...:rolleyes:

Anyways, things I've noticed:
•It will NOT group worth a crap when hot (even warm)
•When totally cooled it will stack two shots together, but then heats up and goes stupid on me
•Shot it @ 400 and the velocity is actually about 100 fps faster than what my chronograph is telling me (will confirm all this out to 800 on my next outing).

Do y'all think I have a bedding problem or just a barrel that wasn't stress relieved very well?
This is a hunting rifle and so if it will always group two rounds together then I may be able to live with that, at least through this season. I'll only load one in the chamber and one in the mag.:D
I know the first one is the one that should count but I will shoot elk until I know they are down and not getting back up.

This may seem like its coming from left field but if it were me I think Id look at my loaded rounds and put a micrometer on them to see how consistent they are.

That's about the first place that's going to show changes due to heating.

WildRose,
I'm not opposed to too much right now.
I did also try a couple faster powders to not avail.

JE Custom was right about a lot more blast (the suppressor tames all that), plus I think he is right about the brake's efficiency. Not a lot of difference in felt recoil when taken off. The recoil will get your attention and what difference the brake does make is welcome.

WildRose,
I'm not opposed to too much right now.
I did also try a couple faster powders to not avail.

JE Custom was right about a lot more blast (the suppressor tames all that), plus I think he is right about the brake's efficiency. Not a lot of difference in felt recoil when taken off. The recoil will get your attention and what difference the brake does make is welcome.
All of that makes sense and to be honest if the recoil is that significant it could be causing you to flinch just a bit after a couple of shots.

All of that makes sense and to be honest if the recoil is that significant it could be causing you to flinch just a bit after a couple of shots.

This is something that was thought of as well. After years of shooting Barretts (one of the worse rifles to shoot) I have become accustomed to recoil and large blasts and am not particularly recoil sensitive, I'm sure you know the feeling. This is not my hardest recoiling rifle. However I know that it can happen to anyone and anyone can have a bad day. So to test me I had my buddy load (or not) the rifle for me several times to check. I also took frequent brakes and did a little dry fire session in between to concentrate on form and executing the shot.
I was also shooting my .408 and being spot on at 800 yards. That thing has a bit of a shove to it. Kinda weird to me and never experienced this, but started shooting it suppressed and the felt recoil seemed to increase. That is compared to just braked.
I'm good with that, guess I'll have to be. I know I sure took a beating, realized I had a headache on the way home.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts