338 RUM barrel

Teh Wicked

I got a Remington 7mm Mag Sendero rifle, few years old but everything is still in fantastic shape except for the inside of the barrel. Its just about burned out...

So I have been tossing around the idea of chambering the rifle in the 338 caliber and I keep going back and forth between the lapua and RUM case. but I think I have just about settled on the RUM due to brass cost and just easier to built it on my current action.

Now the purpose of the rifle being built will be long range hunting. Hence why I joined this site... I would say maximum range would be 1000 yrds on hunting targets.

Now I wouldn't mind the rifle being a little more on the heavy side. Say 10-13lbs loaded weght with the scope, that about where it sitting right now with the Konus M30 25x scope installed in Warne rings.

So what kind of barrel would a professional hunter recommend? Im thinking something in a heavy profile in the range of 26", preferably with a removeable muzzle break attached so the old lady can shoot it too and it not kill her. I currently have a break installed on it and she loves shooting it with the break installed, but nearly stared a hole into my soul when I convinced her to shoot it without it.

Just put a Krieger #5 SS on my 338 RUM at 26'' with a Harrell's brake. Tikkamike has a Krieger #7 fluted 338 Lapua at 26'' with a muscle brake being built. He posted some pictures on here of it. You may have already thought of this or done it. But have you had your 7mm re-crowned. If you get it re-crowned you could get some more life out of it. Just a thought. But if you want to swap it out anyways go with Krieger.

I agree with the Krieger barrel 26" would be ok for burning the slow magnum powders. The muzzel break i belive is a must and not just for the wife but for you also. A 338 Ultra mag is no joke and will kick the absolute **** out of you if you dont have a break which will lead to flinching and then you wont be able to hit the broadside of a barn.

I would look at Broughton barrels, Lawton barrels and lilja also the 338 RUM is a good long range cartridge. I shoot a 338 Nawakwa (338 Lapua IMP) and a 330 Dakota and am a big fan of the 338s I have brakes on all of my 338s and enjoy shooting them.

I like my 7mm cartridge, but im not that attached to it. I really like the 338 caliber, so this rifles future is definately a 338 chamber.

Also, it would not be a single shot rifle only. I was hoping I would be able to get a 3+1 internal magazine even if I need to buy new bottom metal. ANybody have a link to someone that makes them?

Think I have about made up my mind on the barrel. Its down to either the Krieger or Broughton in a 26". Not sure of the countour I want yet, but im definately not going light. I might even go bigger and flute the barrel to remove a little weight. I would like the end result for the rifle to weigh between 10-12lbs loaded. This way It can be transported, but its definately not going to be like my leightweight .308 :D

Just put a Krieger #5 SS on my 338 RUM at 26'' with a Harrell's brake. Tikkamike has a Krieger #7 fluted 338 Lapua at 26'' with a muscle brake being built. He posted some pictures on here of it. You may have already thought of this or done it. But have you had your 7mm re-crowned. If you get it re-crowned you could get some more life out of it. Just a thought. But if you want to swap it out anyways go with Krieger.

What is the diameter of your #5 at the muzzle?

I have a Broughton heavy palma contour 30 in. long with a Muscle brake on it in 338 Ultra Mag. My best group is 3 shots at .625 center to center at 300 yds. with the barnes 225gr. TTSX
I vote Broughton.
Tarey

Great looking rifle, I really love the looks of some of the others posted on that thread as well.

Only thing is I prefer a removeable break. Preferrably a thread on type so I can put on a thread protector. I got one on my 7mm Mag right now and I absolutly love having it.

I really want a fluted barrel on the rifle, but I dont know if I want to pay for it. I know for sure I want a stainless spiral fluted bolt to go in the rifle.

I have a Broughton heavy palma contour 30 in. long with a Muscle brake on it in 338 Ultra Mag. My best group is 3 shots at .625 center to center at 300 yds. with the barnes 225gr. TTSX
I vote Broughton.
Tarey

Another vote here for broughton barrel.
my best group at 333 is .691 center to center.
my best 3 shot group at 752 yards is 2 inches. You can take a look at the 752 yard group on this site just search ..... 752 yard 3 shot group :)

BigBuck

I have a new, in the box, BERGARA .300 win mag, 26" S.S., varmint contour,1-10 twist pre threaded and chambered to "drop in" your rem. 700. I have built 3 of these, and they are oustanding long range bbls. With pre thread/chamber (headspaces with a slim nut) you can do this yourself , it took me 56 minutes on the last one and that included laping the lugs and recoil lug.

Great looking rifle, I really love the looks of some of the others posted on that thread as well.

Only thing is I prefer a removeable break. Preferrably a thread on type so I can put on a thread protector. I got one on my 7mm Mag right now and I absolutly love having it.

I really want a fluted barrel on the rifle, but I dont know if I want to pay for it. I know for sure I want a stainless spiral fluted bolt to go in the rifle.

It is a removable brake. The smith did an awesome job of matching them up. Same with the thread protector.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts