Short barreled 7mm ??? Help me pick - people with experience please

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'll start this off with a disclaimer, because unfortunately I need to so we can stay on task.

If you are going to try to tell me "with a short barrel you might as well make a 7mm-08" then please go away, that is simply incorrect, your input is not needed, and it's not the topic being discussed here. PSA finished, thanks!

So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are.

I have an 8 twist Proof 7mm barrel tat will be cut down to 18-20", and a Christiansen arms mag bolt face long action set up for beltless magnums with the bottom metal and mag box, but that can always be changed. The rifle will have a brake for now, possibly eventually a supressor, but he hasn't started down that road yet. Here are some of my thoughts....

28 nosler, 28 Sherman Magnum, 7 max, 7 rem mag, 7 mega.

I have dies for 7 mag, 7 max, and 28 nosler, but I am not opposed to buying new dies.

I have done a good amount of load develooement on the 7 max so I know what to expect there. I have seen people getting around 150 fps more with the Nosler case, and haven't seen anyone with a short barreled 28 SM. I haven't found anyone going with a short barreled 7 mag yet, but I would bet it would be close to the 7 max.

So, anyone with experience have any input?
Are you opposed to a 7 WSM or a Rem SAUM ? They are made for short barrels. The rounds you chose are for longer barrels. I don't think you could get 100 % burn before the bullet leaves the barrel and you would get a massive flash out the barrel. I tried this with a 7 Mag back in the 90s with a 20" barrel and I got like a 2' flame out the end. The powder did not burn fast enough and to reduce the amount of powder so that I could get a full burn just killed the accuracy. When I shook the bullet you could really hear how empty the bullet was.

Are you opposed to a 7 WSM or a Rem SAUM ? They are made for short barrels. The rounds you chose are for longer barrels. I don't think you could get 100 % burn before the bullet leaves the barrel and you would get a massive flash out the barrel. I tried this with a 7 Mag back in the 90s with a 20" barrel and I got like a 2' flame out the end. The powder did not burn fast enough and to reduce the amount of powder so that I could get a full burn just killed the accuracy. When I shook the bullet you could really hear how empty the bullet was.
Not opposed to them, pretty much the deciding factor will be if my father in law wants to keep the bdl bottom metal or sell it and get a dbm. If that is the case, we will probably look at a 7 max, throated 7 wsm, 7 mega or similar. If he wants to keep the bdl, we will probably go with a 28 nosler

Not opposed to them, pretty much the deciding factor will be if my father in law wants to keep the bdl bottom metal or sell it and get a dbm. If that is the case, we will probably look at a 7 max, throated 7 wsm, 7 mega or similar. If he wants to keep the bdl, we will probably go with a 28 nosler
Hey Cody are you using an accurate mag in your other rifle?

If you look at a recoil chart I believe off the top of my head that a 28 Nosler has about 33% more recoil than a 7 short action ultra mag. I just don't see why anybody would want to go with the 28 Nosler in a 20 inch barrel. Reading between the lines your father-in-law does not seem like a hard-core shooter. And at 5'5" doesn't sound like a super big guy either. Nobody has talked about it but recoil should always be a top consideration. On top of all that a 20 inch barrel with a muzzle brake out of in a 28 Nosler seems like an absolute monster on the range. You're doing all of that to gain what… 100 to 150 ft./s? Unless he's shooting at 1000 to 1200+ yards why? Go with a 7saum, load it with 180 eldm and shoot them around 2750fps. Assuming you're at any elevation you'll carry 1500ft lbs of energy to 1000.

Last edited:
Ucsdryder,
Now the 7mm Dakota is a bit smaller than the 28, but this is with a 18" barrel and a one hand hold.
This is the very first time he pressed the trigger on a live round with it (175 ELD-X at 2900 fps) at 500 yards.

Same XP at 1890 yards for a first time guy shooting distance.

How about pussycat in stead of monster?:cool:

Hey Cody are you using an accurate mag in your other rifle?
The other rifle I managed to find a kwik klip (discontinued from cabelas) on a small "antique" firearms site, bottom metal and magazine was like $170, and it works.
Ucsdryder,
Now the 7mm Dakota is a bit smaller than the 28, but this is with a 18" barrel and a one hand hold.
This is the very first time he pressed the trigger on a live round with it (175 ELD-X at 2900 fps) at 500 yards.

Same XP at 1890 yards for a first time guy shooting distance.

How about pussycat in stead of monster?:cool:

Really appreciate information from people with first hand experience vs educated guessing. Thanks again Ernie!

If you look at a recoil chart I believe off the top of my head that a 28 Nosler has about 33% more recoil than a 7 short action ultra mag. I just don't see why anybody would want to go with the 28 Nosler in a 20 inch barrel. Reading between the lines your father-in-law does not seem like a hard-core shooter. And at 5'5" doesn't sound like a super big guy either. Nobody has talked about it but recoil should always be a top consideration. On top of all that a 20 inch barrel with a muzzle brake out of in a 28 Nosler seems like an absolute monster on the range. You're doing all of that to gain what… 100 to 150 ft./s? Unless he's shooting at 1000 to 1200+ yards why? Go with a 7saum, load it with 180 eldm and shoot them around 2750fps. Assuming you're at any elevation you'll carry 1500ft lbs of energy to 1000.

I run a 9.5 lb .338 Norma mag with a 24" barrel, running 300 grain bullets near 2700, a 270 at 2830, and a 250 at just under 2900 using a 5 port MBM Beast brake. Recoil is less than my fathers 11.5 lb AR-10, my first pronghorn I shot with it was at 200 yards, I watched the bullet hit, it is very manageable, so I am confident that a 180 from a 28 nosler will be easy on the shoulder. Also, our average rifle range for the last 12 elk my hunting group has taken is over 750 yards, closest was 400, farthest was 1036, many of them were in pretty stout Wyoming winds, so the extra velocity does help.

Quote:
"So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are."

Cody, did your father in law shoot your wife's rifle, if so how much? Or did he just
Hold it for fit?

Last edited:
"So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are."

Cody, did your father in law shoot your wife's rifle, if so how much? Or did he just
Hold it for fit?
He shot a couple groups on steel at 700 yards with it, less than 10 rounds, but enough to know how it shoots. He grew up hunting with a remington 7400 30-06, gun didn't fit him at all, way too long, and they actually have pretty stout recoil for what they are. He loved how her rifle shot, he just wanted a thumbhole stock was all because he really likes them, so I am currently cutting down a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole for him.

Then given that, I'd think his desire to have one built just like it but with a different stock was 1) he liked how it shot, & the overall shooters experience.
ie: recoil, muzzle blast & concussive effects, accuracy on target, etc.
2) he thought he'd like to have one with the thumb hole stock. ( only change he requested)

I'd be hesitant to stray to far from that "model" as that is what he liked.
Doesn't sound like he wanted to go lighter or heavier chambering. Especially if he requested sticking with the 7.

If the MAX or a similar performing cartridge
Fills his shooting requirements I'd
Build it.
If a smaller or larger cartridge moves his
Ideal shooters experience idea / perception then I'd Have that conversation with him & be honest on what to expect, gains vs losses With a different chambering.

Side note:
At 65 yrs young myself I've owned a few
rifles over the years. Call it experience.
The ones I didn't shoot much were either
Because :
1) poor fit / uncomfortable / heavy
2) not for current need or use
3) too Big !! Loud, Horrible Concussive effect, un manageable,

The ones I've enjoyed the most
1)Fit perfect
2) fill my shooting needs. Flat, Fast, Hit Hard. No more, No less, Get the job done.
3) Enjoyable to shoot, low recoil, quiet,
No concussive blast to the shooter.
4) ability to shoot often / accurately

Hope this Helps you & you Father in law
Get him the Rifle he desires.

Last edited:

Recent Posts