Short barreled 7mm ??? Help me pick - people with experience please

I like this approach. Start at the other end and work back. You said elk would be the biggest critter. What is the max range he will shoot? How much velocity and energy do you want to deliver? Then pick the lowest recoiling setup that will get you there. I know you said recoil, short barrel life... are not prime concerns but I wouldn't go looking for them if not necessary. I know you push some distances so maybe you do need a 28 nosler, but this method will get you there a little more scientificly and less subjectively.

One note on the stock. I had a short Manners built for my mother and eventually my son to use. I had it cut short, but it is set up with their spacer system. With all the spacers in it is standard length. This was I can shoot it and it will grow as my son does. May be a consideration if this gun is ever going to be passed to someone else.

I'll start this off with a disclaimer, because unfortunately I need to so we can stay on task.

If you are going to try to tell me "with a short barrel you might as well make a 7mm-08" then please go away, that is simply incorrect, your input is not needed, and it's not the topic being discussed here. PSA finished, thanks!

So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are.

I have an 8 twist Proof 7mm barrel tat will be cut down to 18-20", and a Christiansen arms mag bolt face long action set up for beltless magnums with the bottom metal and mag box, but that can always be changed. The rifle will have a brake for now, possibly eventually a supressor, but he hasn't started down that road yet. Here are some of my thoughts....

28 nosler, 28 Sherman Magnum, 7 max, 7 rem mag, 7 mega.

I have dies for 7 mag, 7 max, and 28 nosler, but I am not opposed to buying new dies.

I have done a good amount of load develooement on the 7 max so I know what to expect there. I have seen people getting around 150 fps more with the Nosler case, and haven't seen anyone with a short barreled 28 SM. I haven't found anyone going with a short barreled 7 mag yet, but I would bet it would be close to the 7 max.

So, anyone with experience have any input?
18-20" barrel. Wow. Loud. Suppressed? I'm trying to hold onto what hearing I still have after many crazy years handgun hunting. I do run a 20" .223 Wilde for fun, but my 7mm Weatherby is only chopped to 24." Electronic plugs do work well these days. Please.

I'll start by saying, I'm partial to the MAX. The 100-150 fps costs me about 3 grains of powder and no felt recoil differences over the SAUM, but let me say my second choice would be the SAUM.

I am building a 7MAX this week for my son. I wanted 20" barrels for them, but 24" was what I could get in a Bartlein Carbon.
Getting 3k and 2950 fps with 175 EH and 180 ELDM respectively.

The 7RM isn't an improvement on either if these.
The Nosler will add another 100-150 fps, but at the cost of 21% more powder and 25% increase in recoil.
The other Sherman's will likewise add significant recoil and burn considerably more powder. The increases in velocity are there but at a high price for me. The MAX is the center of the bullseye.
How do you like the Bartlein Carbon?

I just had my 7mm Rem Mag built right before elk season. It's got a 20" fluted barrel and pushes 175gr Partitions at 2925 using RE22. Oh yeah, killed a bull on 2nd day of the season and I can say it works great Ha! I only shot it out to 500yds, but still groups at 1MOA with partitions.
So, until North Idaho Hunter- https://jaoutdoors.com/ has some 175ELDX in stock I am calling it good. One reason I went with the RM over anything else is available factory ammo IF I needed it-

I would say a 7MM STW out of a 16 1/2" barrel.If you happen to miss you will probably blind the animal with muzzel flash or make them deaf from concussion.Just sayin,Huntz

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT performance you want as to how long and what cart. One for the 7mm belt-less fat, better to over spin then under spin, that will help in your decision as to bullet weight vs barrel length. Lighter bullet- a touch more velocity- stable bullet may equal what ya longing for IT DEPENDS. MINE 7mm WSM 20" barrel shooting 150 to 168 grain over spin 1:7.5 or 1:8 that gives you a touch more stability at longer distances. Good 600 yard gun I have taken mule deer at the distance with the rifle, elk a bit closer. Does need to be load developed for best performance. GOOD LUCK. "Shoot Relaxed"

Barrel length isn't really up for discussion, it has been decided at 20" from the beginning.

I'm pretty well sold on the 28 nosler for simplicity, as this action that we also bought from JA outdoors, is already set up for that type of cartridge, and I also have a set of bushing dies for it. Also, it is a different cartridge than my wife's rifle, so they won't mix up ammo on a hunt. Ha has shot my wife's 20" 7 max and likes it, doesn't notice the muzzle blast. A 28 nosler won't be enough more to be a deal breaker, especially if he ends up getting a can. We always wear ear protection even when hunting, double up when target shooting. The only other cartridge we may go with is a properly throated 7 WSM or 7 mag, and that would only be if my FIL would prefer to run a DBM style, in that case I will sell the bdl bottom metal, box spring and follower, and find an appropriate bottom metal.

I would go 7 mag because I just had one built. Its kinda the easy button as far as mid size 7s go. If youre alerady set up for 7max that might be a good choice for you.

As far as barrel length, I had mine built at 24". No muzzle device. Im happy with it and recoil isnt bad.

Last edited:
Cody, I think if you just AI the 7-08 you should be good to go. 🤣

In all seriousness, I think you need to do two guns, the 28 for your FIL and a Mega for yourself. That would get you a Max, 28 and Mega and since you would be doing the load work they would all be loaded to the same pressure signs etc and would really be a great indicator of what works best at the 20" length. You would also be doing us other guys a great service by doing the testing for a proper comparison.

Barrel length isn't really up for discussion, it has been decided at 20" from the beginning.

I'm pretty well sold on the 28 nosler for simplicity, as this action that we also bought from JA outdoors, is already set up for that type of cartridge, and I also have a set of bushing dies for it. Also, it is a different cartridge than my wife's rifle, so they won't mix up ammo on a hunt.
That will work fine

personally I see no purpose in a shorter barrel length than 22" except for "brush buster"calibers(.44mag,.357,4.450 etc.) for game animals. long range guns in mag calibers always call for 26" (7mm,.300s)+,24"for standard calibers(270,308,30-06).I found 25" to be good for custom short mags always getting max.velocitys.I never found a @24" barrel unwealding even in woods whitetails!! 30-30,35rem.were carbine length(20") but those old guns also made to 24-26"for greater sighting &powder burn. short barrels recoil&muzzel blast worst than longer barrels!! Dskiper

I was thinking of going this exact same route but hadn't picked a cartridge. I have to admit a 28 Nosler hadn't crossed my mind as a short 7mm. I will curious to see how this beast turns out. Good luck with the build Cody.