Short barreled 7mm ??? Help me pick - people with experience please

giving a bit more throat does have some speed upside but it's way less than most people think and or should be thinking. Generally (IMO) if one is adding length to a throat to get more speed then they're really working it hard to get it. Pretty much the same old thing as going AI.

I'm 63, I've been loading for centerfire for 51 years. My one and only one item on my wish list for us loaders is that some day we have available to us pressure measuring systems that are trust worthy and cost effective (IE sub 1K dollars).

I expect that when the day comes that we have pressure testing equipement at our disposal we'll all be learning some lessons. Kind of like back pre LRF everyone would routinely make 400 yard shots, then when good LRF's become common place people were routinely making 255 yard pokes...:)

I'd say build it, and let primer pocket life and speed be your guide.

But, please don't build a 7/08.............sorry couldn't resist.

have a great day all!

(last Q, Cody were you able to sort out anything with the goat tag you had or was it just a goat rope?)
$800

We can't sell a gun with a barrel longer than 22 inches anymore! We really started in hard with shorter barrels when we started making suppressors. It just works. Don't sweat the velocity loss.

With your choices, I would offer the same advice, don't get hung up on the little stuff, keep you selection simple. What fits the action, magazine, etc? What components do you have, or are easy to round up?

Make sure the work is done well, and then get shooting!

I just finished this 7WSM. Hornady now making brass for the 7WSM and was fortunate enough to secure 300 pieces of it. Looking at data I should be able to generate some decent velocity out of it. Plan on shooting a 180 Berger Hybrid. Gunwerks GRB action, 22" Proof 8.25 twist with a APA Little Ba$tard brake, TriggerTech, Leupold Mark5, Iota stock. Have not shot it yet as my focus has shifted towards my Coues deer hunt next week.
19F3E30D-05CE-4B7A-B70A-2C35EEC9D5B2.jpeg
9435045B-A644-4221-9432-8500797DE931.jpeg

Last edited:
I just finished this 7WSM, @skipdavidson. Hornady now making brass for the 7WSM and was fortunate enough to secure 300 pieces of it. Looking at data I should be able to generate some decent velocity out of it. Plan on shooting a 180 Berger Hybrid. Gunwerks GRB action, 22" Proof with a APA Little Ba$tard brake, TriggerTech, Leupold Mark5, Iota stock. Have not shot it yet as my focus has shifted towards my Coues deer hunt next week. View attachment 312418View attachment 312420
If only it were a Sherman…😉

I'll start this off with a disclaimer, because unfortunately I need to so we can stay on task.

If you are going to try to tell me "with a short barrel you might as well make a 7mm-08" then please go away, that is simply incorrect, your input is not needed, and it's not the topic being discussed here. PSA finished, thanks!

So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are.

I have an 8 twist Proof 7mm barrel tat will be cut down to 18-20", and a Christiansen arms mag bolt face long action set up for beltless magnums with the bottom metal and mag box, but that can always be changed. The rifle will have a brake for now, possibly eventually a supressor, but he hasn't started down that road yet. Here are some of my thoughts....

28 nosler, 28 Sherman Magnum, 7 max, 7 rem mag, 7 mega.

I have dies for 7 mag, 7 max, and 28 nosler, but I am not opposed to buying new dies.

I have done a good amount of load develooement on the 7 max so I know what to expect there. I have seen people getting around 150 fps more with the Nosler case, and haven't seen anyone with a short barreled 28 SM. I haven't found anyone going with a short barreled 7 mag yet, but I would bet it would be close to the 7 max.

So, anyone with experience have any input?
I bought two Kimber hunters in 280 AI from Reeds. Had them sent to. Navajosmith in Kerrville. Had one shortened about 3 inches and had Kimber factory brakes installed on both. Both very nice shooters and now the factory offers a brake on them

I'll start this off with a disclaimer, because unfortunately I need to so we can stay on task.

If you are going to try to tell me "with a short barrel you might as well make a 7mm-08" then please go away, that is simply incorrect, your input is not needed, and it's not the topic being discussed here. PSA finished, thanks!

So I built a 20" 7 MAX for my wife, some of you may have seen the thread, we're sending 175's at 2906 fps. It has a shorter LOP Manners stock, and is a sweet little compact gun that takes care of business. Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are.

I have an 8 twist Proof 7mm barrel tat will be cut down to 18-20", and a Christiansen arms mag bolt face long action set up for beltless magnums with the bottom metal and mag box, but that can always be changed. The rifle will have a brake for now, possibly eventually a supressor, but he hasn't started down that road yet. Here are some of my thoughts....

I have dies for 7 mag, 7 max, and 28 nosler, but I am not opposed to buying new dies.

I have done a good amount of load develooement on the 7 max so I know what to expect there. I have seen people getting around 150 fps more with the Nosler case, and haven't seen anyone with a short barreled 28 SM. I haven't found anyone going with a short barreled 7 mag yet, but I would bet it would be close to the 7 max.

I would build which ever cartage is most efficient with that short barrel.

I

I would build whichever caliber is most efficient with that short barrel

I have an 8 twist Proof 7mm barrel tat will be cut down to 18-20", and a Christiansen arms mag bolt face long action set up for beltless magnums with the bottom metal and mag box, but that can always be changed. The rifle will have a brake for now, possibly eventually a suppressor, but he hasn't started down that road yet. Here are some of my thoughts....

I have done a good amount of load development on the 7 max so I know what to expect there. I have seen people getting around 150 fps more with the Nosler case, and haven't seen anyone with a short barreled 28 SM. I haven't found anyone going with a short barreled 7 mag yet, but I would bet it would be close to the 7 max.

You can't go wrong with the MAX or the Nosler.
I run a 18" 7mm Dakota with Reloader 33 and get 2900 fps with 175's and amazing accuracy.
I have found I will typically get more MV's out of 18" tubes with R33 than I will with Retumbo

I struggled with a similar dilemma years ago when building my 7STW. I went with 24" Proof barrel knowing I'd lose a little MV. I've taken a bull elk in WY (700 yards in 2017) and just got back from New Mexico where I punched my tag at 749 yards on a typical 4x4 muley. Go with the length that works for you. Learn your ballistics. Practice. Practice Practice. I think we overthink barrel length. Good luck!

Attachments

• 24F2CB98-9259-4E6F-9B5A-BE32ED586146.jpeg
    24F2CB98-9259-4E6F-9B5A-BE32ED586146.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54