Short barrel for 6.5 creedmore

imohunting

I'm building a 6.5 creedmore and have a suppressor I'm going to put on it. Was thinking about a 20 inch heavy barrel to keep the overall length down. Curious what kind of performance guys are getting out of a similar setup or if I should be looking at a longer barrel. Thanks

Frank Galli was running a 18" and going to 1100-1200 yards. I can't remember the exact range.
I ran a 22" as of yesterday getting 2600 fps with 140s and 2700 with 130s. I could push them faster but my accuracy nodes were at those velocities.

I'm building a 6.5 creedmore and have a suppressor I'm going to put on it. Was thinking about a 20 inch heavy barrel to keep the overall length down. Curious what kind of performance guys are getting out of a similar setup or if I should be looking at a longer barrel. Thanks

I have built 19" and 20" versions for some LE folks for off-duty use, who wanted to run suppressed and still be transportable in certain vehicles. There is very little difference between the two except for a tiny drop in velocity. Both lengths tuned into about 2650 fps. pushing the 140 grain bullets. This is enough to carry you to the 1,500 yard targets but there is little energy left at that point.

You can control the barrel life by using one of the cooler burning powders such as Hybrid 100V and still achieve the 2650 fps goal or your own accuracy node. You will need to check your suppressor when using some powders which do not burn completely. Keep the suppressor clean.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.