Short Barrel .308 Weight Savings and Ballistics

It's an x-caliber 20" fluted blank. #4 ish contour. .670 at the muzzle. It will be suppressed. I may still go with carbon and sell this blank. I haven't decided for sure yet. I have a 20", 18", and a .264 at 20". I either need to use them or move them. I'm tired of them taking up space on my bench. 🤣

Good info guys! Appreciate it.

Wildrose, I've though about just starting from scratch but this gun doesn't have many rounds through it and I think the factory Bergara barrel is pretty good. Might have to skip the fluting if it's an issue for stress relief but I'd think shortening it up wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone else have experience with short .308's?
We shot a whole lot of 20", even 18" barreled .308's in the service with no problem at all.

I would not go shorter than 24" with a 300wm or other magnum 30 but with the faster powders and low volume used in .308's you might even get away with 16". To ensure you never have a problem with ATF though or your state authorities I would go no shorter than 16.25".

In fact it would probably be a really, really, REALLY good idea to ensure you are not going to go below whatever barrel length minimum is allowed by not just your state but any states you might be passing through or hunting in.

I can't tell you just how badly we need uniform firearms laws nationwide... .

That's where I have a lot more research to do is on barrel contours on steel barrels and their associated finished weights because I definitely have no problem sticking with a steel barrel if I can get the weight close to carbon especially considering the price difference. If and when I rebarrel this .308 I'd definitely stick with steel if I could get the weight close to a carbon unit with enough heft to still handle a suppressor on the end of it. Are you comparing steel and carbon barrels of the same length?

Do you think that holds true for say a 20" barrel as well? I'm starting to plan out my first full custom build and want to do a 300 WSM with a 20" barrel and can't decide if it would be worth it to go carbon or not or if I could still get a decent weight with a steel barrel. My general know nothing rule of thumb is that if I can get the finished, in the woods weight at 10lbs. that I'd be happy with that. This isn't really a concern with the .308 but with the 300 WSM I think that'd give me enough weight to make recoil plenty manageable and also make it light enough that I wouldn't mind carrying it all day as the WSM would be my gun to use hunting out west and would live its life in a shooting house in MS.
If you're planning on something to hunt the Western US with you should really consider something that shoots a lot flatter. I'm a big fan of the .260 Remington but if I were building another 6.5 tomorrow that I wanted quick access to factory ammo for it would be the 6.5PRC which has a 150-200FPS gain over it.

Just to be different I'll be doing a 6.5-375Ruger this year or 6.5-300PRC which is based off of the same .375Ruger case.

The PRC has the advantage though of being able to shoot it in a short action.

We shot a whole lot of 20", even 18" barreled .308's in the service with no problem at all.

I would not go shorter than 24" with a 300wm or other magnum 30 but with the faster powders and low volume used in .308's you might even get away with 16". To ensure you never have a problem with ATF though or your state authorities I would go no shorter than 16.25".

In fact it would probably be a really, really, REALLY good idea to ensure you are not going to go below whatever barrel length minimum is allowed by not just your state but any states you might be passing through or hunting in.

I can't tell you just how badly we need uniform firearms laws nationwide... .

I hear you on the barrel length. I'm definitely planning on going 16.5" when I cut down my .308. As a concealed carry holder and a suppressor owner I can't agree with you more on needing uniform laws nationwide.

If you're planning on something to hunt the Western US with you should really consider something that shoots a lot flatter. I'm a big fan of the .260 Remington but if I were building another 6.5 tomorrow that I wanted quick access to factory ammo for it would be the 6.5PRC which has a 150-200FPS gain over it.

Just to be different I'll be doing a 6.5-375Ruger this year or 6.5-300PRC which is based off of the same .375Ruger case.

The PRC has the advantage though of being able to shoot it in a short action.

I hadn't considered the 6.5PRC for my longer range / out west build. And when I say longer range, for me that means likely 500 yards and in as that's about all I'm comfortable with at the moment. My "master plan" was to build a rifle on the Bighorn origin action so I could have my shorty .308 for my home property in MS and be able to swap bolt head and barrel for a magnum caliber for some trips I'm planning out west for elk and mule deer so that meant both had to be short action. After doing some research the 300 WSM seemed like a shoe in for that particular slot especially considering I wasn't trying to shoot super far on my larger game targets and since I'm not a reloader at the moment factory ammo availability is something that's really important. I'm going to have to look into the 6.5PRC and consider that as an option.

I hear you on the barrel length. I'm definitely planning on going 16.5" when I cut down my .308. As a concealed carry holder and a suppressor owner I can't agree with you more on needing uniform laws nationwide.

I hadn't considered the 6.5PRC for my longer range / out west build. And when I say longer range, for me that means likely 500 yards and in as that's about all I'm comfortable with at the moment. My "master plan" was to build a rifle on the Bighorn origin action so I could have my shorty .308 for my home property in MS and be able to swap bolt head and barrel for a magnum caliber for some trips I'm planning out west for elk and mule deer so that meant both had to be short action. After doing some research the 300 WSM seemed like a shoe in for that particular slot especially considering I wasn't trying to shoot super far on my larger game targets and since I'm not a reloader at the moment factory ammo availability is something that's really important. I'm going to have to look into the 6.5PRC and consider that as an option.
I personally become more of a 6.5 Fan with each one I build but the 300wsm would definitely be an improvement over the .308win Ballistically.

You get even flatter trajectory with the 6.5's though and about half or 2/3 the recoil which you'll find valuable shooting on the plains trying to keep your target in sight through impact.

I run a 18" 308 with great results. I shoot a 130 Barnes TTSX at 3100 FPS which is good to 600 but I limit it to 400 and it's wicked. Will shoot the 150 around 2850-2900. Go for it and consider staying at 18". Any good smith should be able to cut, crown and thread the barrel. Plan on running faster powder in the short barrel. I run AA2460 with the 130 and that powder is easy to find.

4E753C26-8B36-466B-938D-D1B31F2AE906.jpeg
3826B32A-2117-468C-A637-95D0E526CA14.jpeg

Last edited:
Depending on your contour about a half an ounce per inch I think is pretty close.

I don't know that you'll find anyone willing to flute it for you and if they do, it will have to be lapped again when they are finished and probably should then be heat and or cryo treated again to relieve any stresses induced.

I'd suggest calling Georgia Precision as they kind of specialize in that type of work having done a whole lot of .308's with short barrels for suppressor hunting and shooting.

Don't be surprised though if they suggest your probably going to be best off starting with a new barrel with as much as you're wanting to do to this one.
Ditto the above, do all machining, lapping before heat treat and cryo

I ended up getting a 20" ridge wilderness 308. I'm dropping it off next week to get cut. I was dead set on 18" but after some research I think I'm going 16.5". Velocity difference doesn't seam to be much on 300-400yd max shots. Just curious why no one goes to 17"?

Nice man! Let me know how cutting down the barrel goes.

I'd imagine a lot of people don't go 17" cause if you're going to go that short might as well go as short as possible! I can't wait to get mine done.

I ended up getting a 20" ridge wilderness 308. I'm dropping it off next week to get cut. I was dead set on 18" but after some research I think I'm going 16.5". Velocity difference doesn't seam to be much on 300-400yd max shots. Just curious why no one goes to 17"?
Reason many don't go 17" is the barrel makers that make prefits don't make them that length. Usually come 18",20", 22"…..

I just came back from the range. I was shooting my 308 with a 16.5 inch carbon fiber barrel, it ran a 150 gmx handload 2750, and the 165 gmx handload 2600. this is a mild load.