.308 barrel contour vs rifle weight

Gota6.5

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work out the dimensions for a new barrel to go on my Tikka T3 laminated. I'm reasonably new to longer range, so am hoping to get some help with this.

I will be hunting deer from the size of your antelope up to the size of mule deer, out to about 600yds. I hunt high in rough country all back backing, therefore weight is a bit of an issue. I'm a fit guy, but lugging a 13lb rifle doesn't appeal to me.

My last rifle was a trued 700 with a #2 shilen 260 tube, and McMillan hunters edge stock and 3.5-10 leupold. It weighed 7lb all up and was a joy to carry, but hard to shoot accurately due to balance and the fairly decent (for me) recoil.

Ultimately, my question is: what is a good length and contour barrel for my T3 to achieve a good compromise between portability and accuracy?

What is a good weight for an accurate yet portable .308 that won't smash me round with recoil?

Thanks heaps,

Nick

Well in my opinion with a max range of 600m why not consider a 20" barrel with a muzzle around .750 and have it fluted. You will give up a little speed but at 600m I don't suspect its enough to matter. Ditch the factory stock and go with a manners t1 or McMillan m40.

Jon

I'd use a 24 inch medium weigh barrel that ain't fluted.

For a contour, 1.1 inch diameter at the back for 2 inches, then taper down for 2 inches to .85 inch diameter, then a straight taper to the muzzle that's .70 inch diameter.

I can calculate for you its weight as well as resonant frequency so other barrels could be compared for stiffness, too. Higher frequency equals stiffer barrel. But I wouldn't get up tight about barrel stiffness, each onel whips at its same frequency for every shot.; doesn't change with your load, your diet or what color the target is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.