Medium Weight Hunting Rifle: What barrel contour?

nksmfamjp

So, I have built a couple of medium to heavy hunting rifles….that is 10 - 15lbs scoped. If I were going to build a 9-10lb scoped rifle, I think I would build on a #3 stainless steel barrel again, adjusting the breech end as short as possible, then shortening the muzzle end until I became concerned about perf, then maybe even adding some fluting.

Below 9lbs, I would consider a CF barrel as it is hard to get below 9lbs without going with a lighter scope and cf barrel. Just the weight alone will be hurting accuracy, so any lose from the cf barrel will matter less. I might just go to a #2 or #1 SS barrel too!

When asked, I always am thinking about the competative shooters. Nobody uses a cf barrel or even tries one except some PRS folks who are using dual purpose rifles. For example, in LV, where 10.5lbs scoped is the limit, a guy will go to lighter action, fluting, shorter barrels, cf stocks, lighter optics, but never a cf barrel.

I know guys build 10-15lb cf barreled rifles. Why? I'm sure I'm just missing the point. Help me understand.

My last rifle I built was just at 9lbs scoped. Below are the specs of it. I don't think it's too difficult to get below 9lbs if going with a carbon fiber stock, #3 barrel, lightened steel or Ti action, and a scope that's 30oz or lighter. I prefer steel barrels for both looks and reliability. That's my personal choice based on what I've seen and the opinions of much more experienced shooters. Like you mentioned, looking at competition shooters, they're all using steel barrels and saving weight everywhere else. I'm starting to use the same mindset. Save weight on everything but your barrel and scope, unless going super lightweight then you have to cut weight everywhere. I think the carbon fiber barrels are popular mainly for the looks.

My next build will be going with a carbon McMillan Game Hunter and a Lilja #5 spiral fluted. It will be a long action, but it will only be 6-8oz heavier with a beefier barrel, long action, and a stock with wider forearm and a cheekpiece.

Pierce Shadow SS SA
Lilja #4 24"
MBM 3 port brake
McMillan Game Scout fiberglass with rail
Redhawk BDL
Pierce 2 piece bases
Hawkins Ultralight 30mm rings
Sightron S-TAC FFP 4-20x50

So, I have built a couple of medium to heavy hunting rifles….that is 10 - 15lbs scoped. If I were going to build a 9-10lb scoped rifle, I think I would build on a #3 stainless steel barrel again, adjusting the breech end as short as possible, then shortening the muzzle end until I became concerned about perf, then maybe even adding some fluting.

Below 9lbs, I would consider a CF barrel as it is hard to get below 9lbs without going with a lighter scope and cf barrel. Just the weight alone will be hurting accuracy, so any lose from the cf barrel will matter less. I might just go to a #2 or #1 SS barrel too!

When asked, I always am thinking about the competative shooters. Nobody uses a cf barrel or even tries one except some PRS folks who are using dual purpose rifles. For example, in LV, where 10.5lbs scoped is the limit, a guy will go to lighter action, fluting, shorter barrels, cf stocks, lighter optics, but never a cf barrel.

I know guys build 10-15lb cf barreled rifles. Why? I'm sure I'm just missing the point. Help me understand.
26" inches barrel go with #2 @ .600" at the muzzle. Cheers

Part of the appeal of a fat carbon barrel is it's the easy button if you want to thread it for a suppressor. You can always get a lighter build going with a plain steel barrel. A carbon barrel is just a pencil barrel with a bunch of carbon on it and they aren't as stiff as people think. #2 stainless , get a flare contoured in at the end of you want 5/8 threads.

A carbon barrel is just a pencil barrel with a bunch of carbon on it and they aren't as stiff as people think.
Wow! You said that on this site! May the CF folks spare your soul! (Yes, full sarcasm)

I have to agree with your point. I haven't done it, but I think I'd build a light gun with light everywhere and a fluted #2 or heavier flutes in a #3!

Part of the appeal of a fat carbon barrel is it's the easy button if you want to thread it for a suppressor. You can always get a lighter build going with a plain steel barrel. A carbon barrel is just a pencil barrel with a bunch of carbon on it and they aren't as stiff as people think. #2 stainless , get a flare contoured in at the end of you want 5/8 threads.
Technology isn't a FOUR letter word...

Technology isn't a FOUR letter word...
No it's certainly not. I have carbon barrels and they have their place and I like them. But if I'm looking to build an ultra light rifle I'm NOT getting a carbon barrel. A #2 or #1 with a flare for my cans is wonderful and lighter.
Now educate me Oh Exhalted One!