Barrel contour on a long range hunting rifle?

matt_3479

Hey guys,

If you were to go steel not carbon, what would you preferred barrel contour be? Trying to keep weight down but not too light and whippy. Have ran sendero contours mainly but was curious about others like medium Palma, light palma's, #5's and so on.

This ought to start quite an interesting thread! I am partial to a sendero. However, as I get a bit more mature, I am more and more willing to looking at giving away some velocity with a shorter barrel of the same contour to save some weight.

I like Shilens #6 contour. It is plenty stiff enough but lighter than varmint size. Fluting will lighten even more.

This ought to start quite an interesting thread! I am partial to a sendero. However, as I get a bit more mature, I am more and more willing to looking at giving away some velocity with a shorter barrel of the same contour to save some weight.

Same here, all my LRs are #6 contour/Sendero, 26-30".

It depends on the cartridge/caliber and how far you're going to carry it. Burning a lot of powder, go with a 5 or 6, smaller capacity cartridges, a 3 or 4 will work. Skinny barrels I like shorter, 20 to 22 inches.

It depends on the cartridge/caliber and how far you're going to carry it. Burning a lot of powder, go with a 5 or 6, smaller capacity cartridges, a 3 or 4 will work. Skinny barrels I like shorter, 20 to 22 inches.

Exactly what I was thinking....need to know what you are trying to achieve. A nice short 20 in #3 looks pretty good on a 338 RCM I have and I've shot it to 700. I have seen a number of #4 and #5 contour that were 20-22 inches that carried good and performance was good.My 7mm SAUM wears a carbon sendero contour--I have shot it to 550 yards so far and did not feel it wanting. If I was building a rifle that would be carried more than shot--maybe a#2 or #3 contour and I might even flute it...caliber would be one thing to know. Next would be weight you were shooting for and what your "range" requirements would be... I consider long range hunting 800 and in--so short barrels work. I also value weight and portability for hunting so that is why short barrels and light contour are high on my list.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.