Barrel contour on a long range hunting rifle?

Are contours standardized, or do they vary from barrel maker to barrel maker? For example is a #5 the same contour with all barrel makers?

Contours are not standardized. You need to look at each barrel makers contour chart to know what you are getting. Even then you sometimes get something different than what is listed.

Mine have Lilja #7 straight tapers on them. One 26" and one 28". The other has a 30" Brux Sendero. Way to small of a barrel for a 338 that long. It needs a much heavier, straight taper for heavy bullets and lots of powder. Weight is not a issue for myself or for the Z's. I found bigger heavier barrels are very forgiving with lots of bullet weights.

Jayson

Last edited:
Coutures from 1 to 30...

What cartridge.
Barrel length wanted.
What weigth do you want to pack when it's all put together.
How many shots would you like to get off before the string starts to spread.

My last build addressed all of the above...
A stainless steel barrel in contour 2.8 5-R rifling at 25 1/4" long...

This barrel allows for 7 ish consist shots,,, the rifle complete is 11.9 lbs with extra ammo,,, optic,,, bypod,,, sling /// 5.4 kg's...

Its basically a 1980 Remington model 700 BDL barrel idea with 1 mm thicker barrel in stainless steel that is a fraction heavier then the factory Remington barrels...

The Sendero rifle is normally running in the 8 3/4 to 9 ish lbs in the 26"...

Its sometimes classed as a Varmint barrel,,, the Remington LR rifles are normally known as medium/ heavy barrels,,, most show up in the 9.8 to 10 lb range...

I would think that if I stripped my rifle down that it would be in the 10.2 or 10.4 lb category...

I'm ok with a heavy rifle for my needs,,, they feel good in my hands,,, off the bench,,, sticks or bypod along with the free hand and sling for hunting...

The trick for me was to spend a year with a medium/ heavy barrel pipe for the season,,, then I came up with my game plan from there...

Last year I went to a factory Sporter barrel rifle that I enjoyed packing,,, but it just wasn't the true tack driver in my hands...

So I went with a 2.8 couture... Very close to the medium/ heavy barrel idea...

I have a 32" heavy pipe,,, its deadly accurate,,, but it won't be a hunting pack rifle... Ha... Total package weigth on that unit was 18 1/2 lbs,,, I got it down to 16 ish as its much easier to handle now...

Each of us get to pick and choose what works...

Cheers from the North

The way I see it, it's a "weight" thing. Toting a unbalanced, front-heavy rifle in the steeps is vastly different than rolling hills. Last year, I ranged from the ridge I was on. 600 yards put me two canyons over. Even if I dropped an animal that far, I'd have a very hard time finding it after I got to the slope it was on. Pretty much a heavy-sporter contour would be fine at those ranges that I'd likely be shooting and far more practical in that terrain. Open country like an antelope hunt... sky's the limit but I personally wouldn't go anything over a Sendero contour and probably less. Despite all the videos, there just aren't all that many 1000 yard opportunities.

Wow seems that everyone has something slightly different. This builds goal components are bighorn sr3/tl3 action, bartlein or benchmark 30 cal, 1:9 twist 26" 5r, manners eh5 or eh1 stocks with mini chassis, heathen lite brake, trigger tech trigger. Scope will be my nxs.

I use to carry a factory sendero 300. Win mag pushing the 215's @ 2900 FPS and loved that combo!! This rifle was my primary moose hunting rifle. Where I hunt shots can be extremely close quarters on the roads and river, but when we sit trying to cover an area it's either in massive clear cuts, or back swamps and lakes where shots have presented themselves at 800+ yards. I sold my sendero to fund a different build and have regretted it ever since. Hence the purpose of this build. I don't mind the extra weight of something like a sendero, but not too keen on a 15lbs rifle. Just trying to get my weight between 8-12lbs or close too

I have 2, 29 inch fluted light palma barrels in 7 Rum and 300 Rum. And a 28 inch fluted light palma barrel in 338 rum. I sold the 338 Rum and had built another 338 Rum. Brux fluted #5 contour , finished at 27 1/2 inch. I ordered a 30 cal Brux fluted 4.5 contour , finished at 27 1/2 inch for my next 300 Rum build.
If I had to do it all over again on the light palma builds I would have gone smaller contours such as 4.5 and 5. Fluted of course.
And for the heavy barrel,I would have built a Snipe Tac.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.