Barrel Contour and Weight

jpbaker

I am getting together components for a new build. I'm at an impasse over the barrel contour.

The barrel will be 28" and chambered for a 300RUM

I originally considered a sendero contour, but I have several "heavier" rifles weighting 12+ lbs. I was hoping to make this rifle a little lighter and more comfortable to carry. The rifle will be put into a manners EH-1 Stock.

What would you guys consider for a contour for LR hunting rife. It ill be mainly used on moose/bear and of course paper from 200-800yds.

Tks
JPB

I have a Sendero contour on my 300 ultra and with an A5 it's too much for me to carry comfortably. I have a #4 brux, 26" on a 300 Dakota in an EDGE and it's perfect for me. #5 & 6 contours would work well too, you can approximate a half pound per contour.

Tks for input from experience.

The barrel will be a shilen select. I get confused by looking at different manufactures and seeing different contours and different detentions associated with the numbers.

Do you have an idea of what the aprox weight of your barrel is? The contours I'm looking at are running 4-4.5lbs. Those would be light varmint and light Palma

Tks
Jordan

I would look at a Shilen #5 contour. It is plenty heavy enough and measures .700 at the muzzle so it's a happy medium between a standard barrel and a heavy Sendero contour.

Tks jud96.

I'm looking at the #5 and the light Palma. The light Palma seems like a sweet number, but I can't understand how it can be 4.5lbs when it's .800 at the muzzle and 32" long. Or am I missing something?

http://www.shilen.com/contours.html

Tks
Jordan

Tks jud96.

I'm looking at the #5 and the light Palma. The light Palma seems like a sweet number, but I can't understand how it can be 4.5lbs when it's .800 at the muzzle and 32" long. Or am I missing something?

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Tks
Jordan

Well I looked over all of the contour dimensions and the Light Palma seems to be lighter than the #5 contour because of how it is cut. The #5 stays straight for 3" before it begins to taper while the Light Palma is only straight for 2". The #5 also doesn't taper as much as the Light Palma. All of these factors leads to added metal in certain places on the #5 contour where the Light Palma is slimmer in certain spots in the contour excluding the larger muzzle diameter. Both contours are so similar in weight and dimensions, other than the .100 thousandths bigger muzzle on the Light Palma, that either choice will be satisfactory and work great.

I think I like the thoughts of the light Palma over the #5. Since it's 32" as apposed to the 26" #5. Both weighing the same at those lengths. When I cut the 4" off the LP, I should be saving a bit.

How can I expect this thing to balance, and what could I do to make it better. Stock, action, scope, bases, and rings come in just over 6 lbs

Consider a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. They offer better heat dissipation and more stiffness than a fluted heavy barrel rifle and weigh a LOT less. They are a bit "spendy".

I believe Christensen Arms makes the best ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.