Contour vs. Weight

Pre-64

Having a 30-06AI built on a 700 action. Not looking for a featherweight but I'm not interested in a bench rifle either. About 7.5 lbs built would be good. Now I'm leaning toward a fluted #5 contour (lilja). Having never built a rifle before any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Having a 30-06AI built on a 700 action. Not looking for a featherweight but I'm not interested in a bench rifle either. About 7.5 lbs built would be good. Now I'm leaning toward a fluted #5 contour (lilja). Having never built a rifle before any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Perfect !!!!!!

The #5 Lilja will be great for the AI but you dont have to get it fluted unless you just want
the look.

Fluting will not lighten it very much because the fluting is very shallow but the #6 with fluting
should weigh about the same as the #5 without.

I would go with the unfluted #5 around 24'' long and save over a $100.oo to use somewhere else.

I use a lot of the #5s and love them for a carry gun.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

What can I expect for a weight with a #5 unfluted. Plan on using just a synthetic remington stock. ADL.

I was thinking the same thing you were about what size barrel. I just purchased a #5 unfluted Kreiger for my new 7mm-08 build. Hopefully I will get my rifle done this weekend and I will let you know how it comes out.

If you want to stay in the 7.5# range, I think you're going to need to go with a slightly smaller diameter barrel. I say this from personal experience....

My .280 is a Rem 700 action, HS Precision stock, #4 douglas taper barrel (24") and with the scope, rings and bases (Bushnell 3200 10x, burris signatures rings and bases) the entire rig is 9#.

If you want to stay in the 7.5# range, I think you're going to need to go with a slightly smaller diameter barrel. I say this from personal experience....

My .280 is a Rem 700 action, HS Precision stock, #4 douglas taper barrel (24") and with the scope, rings and bases (Bushnell 3200 10x, burris signatures rings and bases) the entire rig is 9#.

280 Has a good point.

All barrel makers have different numbers for there contours so don't think that a #5 Shilen
@ 4.25 lbs weighs the same as a #5 Lilja ( 4.0 lbs) so base your weight on the brand of
barrel to be used.

As I said earlier I have built quite a few rifles on the # 5 Lilja and with a laminate stock
and dressed out with a scope they weigh around 8 lbs so with a synthetic stock it should
weigh less than 7 and 1/2 lbs.

The #4 would surely weigh less than 7&1/2 lbs but it is not as strong/stiff as a #5 would
be and you could not hardly tell the difference when carrying it around (8 ounces).

Also don't mistake a taper for a contour there is a lot of difference.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Pre-64,

I built a .30-06 AI 3 years ago and it has a 26" #6 Krieger Heavy Bull sporter on it it weighs 4.5lbs. The action is a Remington 700. The Stock is a Faigen Laminate (from the 90's) and The whole rig with the Leupold MK-4, sling, and bipod it. Weighs in around 11 lbs 15oz.

Mine is obviously not a light weight rig. But as .280 Said, a lighter barrel might be the answer.

Mine was built specifically for mid to longer ranges (300-700yds) and built specifically to shoot 165-180g bullets. I needed a heavier barrel to accomplish this.

Dan

The Sako I'm carrying these days weighs 9.5 lbs including scope and sling. If I can get a Lilja #5 and stay at about 9.5, that would be the ticket.

A #5 Krieger is going to be to heavy for your weight restriction.
Need to look at a lighter contour.Probably a #3 or 4 sporter.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.