Short barrel 1000 yard elk cartridge

naja302

I like guns and need another one like I need a hole in the head but I have this extra XLR element magnesium chassis and I'm thinking about building a short barreled gun.

I know this has been discussed but I'll ask anyway.

I understand that short barrels castrate big cartridges and I don't care. I don't care about muzzle flash or unburned powder or efficiency etc.

if you think an 18" 338 Lapua is completely ridiculous and should never be done theplease don't respond to this thread (I felt this way a year ago)

now to the question: I want to build a strong magnum long action gun with a short 18"...or maybe 20" barrel. WHAT IS THE BEST CARTRIDGE FOR KILLING ELK to 1000 yards.

elk are tough critters and I don't subscribe to the 7mmRM being sufficient to kill elk with at 1000 with any barrel length (and yes I know it's been done effectively thousands of times)...but I'm looking for something that hits harder than that.

my initial thought is to just do a 338 Lapua (I'm already setup to load that one)...then I started thinking well in that case the 338 Norma is probably a better choice...then my brain went to the 300 Norma with 230 or 245's....

is a 300 Norma not actually faster than a 300 WM if you cut the barrel down that much????

I know we are sacrificing some velocity with a short barrel which is why I went to heavier bullets automatically...but maybe I'm wrong there

also this is not going to be an ELR gun...it's only for 1000 and less so I don't care if we take an entry level ELR cartridge and make it not good enough for ELR.

28 Nosler-375 CT...go

I approach it this way.

Assuming 5000 feet elevation or higher since we're talking elk.

Now what's the most efficient bullet to get there and do work. I'd pick a 230 berger. At 2750 fps you get to 1000 yards with 1850 retained velocity which is your minimum threshold.

What cartridge will get you there. I'd like to say 30 sherman max, 300wm or 30 nosler. I'm a huge fan of the 30 nosler but feel the right powder combo in a short mag variant would do the job. Really need to play around in QL.

Also, I've been researching this quite a bit and it seems 20 inches is the sweet spot. It's not much of a drop off from 22 inches but seems to really outpace an 18.

Yes my chassis takes the 3.850" mags

what bullet and velocity are you running in the 300 PRC?

My 30 nosler loaded with a 230 at .020 off will just fit in that. Imo-its one of the most under-rated of the big 30s.

Here's a pic of a 215 at .020 off. Cow elk shot through the shoulders at 180.

Screenshot_20210130-100803_Photos.jpg

I have a 24" .338 Norma mag, if you want the best elk whalloping ability, I would go .338 or larger.

If you want a repeater, this is what I would look at. A 9 twist 20" .338 Norma Mag improved, and shoot the 250 Super Bull Dozer bullets with a .410 G7 at a very realistic, maybe even conservative 2800-2900 fps. At the elevation I hunt elk, that still provides around 2400 ft-lbs at 1000 yards, you have the larger frontal area of the .338 diameter vs the 30, you have your short barrel, and you have an easy repeater.

Just do the 338 Lapua, since you're already set up for it and use 250gr bullets. I doubt you'd see a huge difference in performance between the 300gr and 250gr bullets inside of 1000 yards. You'll probably be around 2800+ from a 20" barrel. Pick a good 250gr class bullet and go for it.

If you weren't trying to squeeze it into your existing chassis, I'd say something off the CT case. I do love my 20" 338 SnipeTac specialty pistol, 300gr bullets at 2890 fps in a short, compact (not light!) package.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.