Shooting Position for Bad Back

Lpart

Good afternoon gentlemen. I am struggling a bit with my shooting at this time. I trying to recover from 9 surgeries in the last 18 months and 2 of them were back fusions. 3/4 and 4/5. Also two intestine resections and the rest to deal with myriad complications. Although I still have a negative pressure wound pump stuck in my abdomen I am now at the point that I can get to the floor and try to assume a prone position. I am finding it very uncomfortable to my middle back higher up than the fusions. Spoke to the Dr. and he said the fusion area was now very rigid and by flexing my back as we do in prone I am putting a tremendous amount of pressure to the spine in the area that is bothering me. His orders were to STOP prone to avoid more damage. He is familiar with shooting as he was an Army ranger in Desert Storm and Iraq.

I am trying to find another position I can get into that is low enough to be stable enough to shoot to at least 600 yards. I can sit on the ground and have been contemplating leaning on a backback in close to the body with a longer bipod out front. Placing the front of the rifle on the pack is still prone and hurts and is not an option. I should add that I am also a little stiff as I have both an artificial knee and shoulder. I am not a cripple, however, and am getting around well otherwise. This forum has a tremendous cross section of fantastic people that have come across more situations than I can imagine. I am always amazed at the advice given here. I am hoping that some of you have unfortunatlly experienced similar issues and would ask that you share your solutions with me.

TOre a disk in my back. I am fairly pain free as long as do not bend or twist. One of my worst eppisodes came from shooting prone off my backpack. I didn't know what the issue was at the time and thought the intense burning was a spasm, so tried to ignore it and finish my session. The higher position put the pressure right on my injury.

My injury is s0-s1 (I think, I have so many activity related issue it's hard to keep track).

I have found that lower bipods that allow me a more natural state, without pain. You might consider lying on your pack and a higher bipod, so that you are at an incline with only your knees and feet on the ground.

Not ideal but might keep you shooting. Best of luck, and update the thread. I doubt we are the only ones with back issues...

With your problems, I would advise a sitting position, with your back against a tree or other solid support. Support your rifle in a cradle on a bipod, or better yet a tripod. Support your shooting elbow on the top of your pack, knee or other stabilizing object.

I believe Len sells a shooting aid that stabilizes forearm and stock and is adjustable for sitting, kneeling and perhaps standing. He reports very good results. Check out LRH store.

It's good to see someone overcoming pain, to continue shooting. Good Luck!

I have had an L4/5 S1 fusion anterior and posterior. While dry firing in the house I have put a pillow under my belly/pelvic region for additional comfort. I have not tried it in a field situation but it does provide more comfort on the floor at the house.

Good afternoon gentlemen. I am struggling a bit with my shooting at this time. I trying to recover from 9 surgeries in the last 18 months and 2 of them were back fusions. 3/4 and 4/5. Also two intestine resections and the rest to deal with myriad complications. Although I still have a negative pressure wound pump stuck in my abdomen I am now at the point that I can get to the floor and try to assume a prone position. I am finding it very uncomfortable to my middle back higher up than the fusions. Spoke to the Dr. and he said the fusion area was now very rigid and by flexing my back as we do in prone I am putting a tremendous amount of pressure to the spine in the area that is bothering me. His orders were to STOP prone to avoid more damage. He is familiar with shooting as he was an Army ranger in Desert Storm and Iraq.

I am trying to find another position I can get into that is low enough to be stable enough to shoot to at least 600 yards. I can sit on the ground and have been contemplating leaning on a backback in close to the body with a longer bipod out front. Placing the front of the rifle on the pack is still prone and hurts and is not an option. I should add that I am also a little stiff as I have both an artificial knee and shoulder. I am not a cripple, however, and am getting around well otherwise. This forum has a tremendous cross section of fantastic people that have come across more situations than I can imagine. I am always amazed at the advice given here. I am hoping that some of you have unfortunatlly experienced similar issues and would ask that you share your solutions with me.
I have a lot of the same issues so I feel for ya.

Where possible if I'm able I'll sit with my back against something solid and rest the rifle on a pack or tripod. If I can't I'll shoot standing braced against a tree using the same in most "in the woods" situations with no blind.

Getting old sucks but it sure beats the alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.