Shooting position

Anyone else use a water bag with a drink tube? I've been using one for years,before everyone started coming out with them. I like the way they keep the water quiet, but the tubes freeze when it gets cold out. Got the idea from a hiking store here in spokane. Have always had hiking stores, but finally now getting some more "hunting" stores. I've used a platypus with a long tube over the shoulder hooked to my right shoulder strap. All in a modified military pack that I purchased back in the 80's. Put my own sternum strap on it and mod. it also to carry my tripod for my spotting scope. They didn't have pack's avilable for me with the options I've added "back then" Hell, I don't sew for $#*!.
grin.gif
But, I haven't seen to many packs that I would spend the money on that were that much of a gain over my old one. I have learned that a good pack should center the load over your hips. That your hips should carry the load, not your shoulders, how many good hunting packs have really good hip belts on 'em? And how does that work in a "winter" situation where you have lots of clothes on?

When you go on a hunting trip or long range hunting trip, what do you normally bring with you? Would you put it in a day pack or a regular camping backpack? Where do you generally go for long range hunting? Do you think there is any place in Minnesota I could do it?
Thanks

For me, walking from the truck sounds extremly boring to me so I would rather go in the mountains like you do. I would rather be more in the woods than depending on on a vehicle. I would rather depend on myself.
see ya

Nighthawk, its said that most hunters never get more than 1/4 mile from there rig, for whatever reason. Last year me and my buddy ran into a couple of other hunters up on a mountain, they had drove in on a road that we didn't even know existed. They asked us where we parked. We told them, they remembered seeing the truck on there way in. they said that was over 8 miles by road. I told em that it was a hell of a lot farther the way we came! Talk about draggin but! I can't say that I never get lost, just not as much as I did as a kid!LOL Usually its because I follow a ridge that's easier walking without realizing it headed slightly in the wrong direction. Oh well, its all fun, littletoes. Anyone else have similar experiences? Would love to hear 'em!

Wyoming 2years ago we did about the same thing.Beat the $### out of my 2x4 getting 7miles back off the main road,finaly couldnt go any ferther=made camp.Hickt 5-7 miles on foot to get to the spot we wanted to be at just to have 2guys pull up in a brand new 4x4,without a single scratch.Come to find out the BLM maps are so outdated that they didnt show a trail a guy could have drove a car on that lead from different road right to where we were at.I can laugh at the experience now but the navigator on that trip got beat that day=CJ

That's funny. Me and 3 other guys spent half a day looking for a large clearing. Finally, I took another look at the map. The fine print said something like US Geological Survey 1955. The clearing is now thick timber.

frown.gif

Try looking on http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=13&T=1&X=215&Y=2623&Z=13&W=2 for road and ground cover information. This image is a place called Twin Peaks (Colorado's La Grita Wilderness area) where we killed two bull elk a few years back. The twin peaks are at the top center of the image.

I use the site a lot and piece the sections together using Abobe Photoshop then get a local shop to make me a print for field use.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.