Long range shooting position

No, its not the swivel version.

I'm real particular about my equipment and not very fond of things that have the option to move of their own volition. I shy away from any item that has movable/disconnect features/options. I use the notched leg version on the bipod for this very reason, once its locked in a notch its not going to slip unlike the thumbwheel c-clamp type. (Note that the c-clamp type bipod legs are "frozen" in place and not free to rotate on their feet once clamped down. Many times these feet find a way to rotate a little bit during rifle recoil and this rotation allows the leg to settle/shorten a bit. The notched leg versions DO NOT freeze the rotation characteristics of the bipod leg and they are free to rotate without effecting the leg length.)

Dave thanks so much for the pictures. I was unclear about what the notched version was till I just saw the picture. And one of my questions got answered about the swivel version. Seems to me on a walking deer or something you might get all bound up before he stops. So the 9-13" allows you to comfortable shoot in the prone position? I didn't follow all of what the clown socks purpose was. Could you explain a little more. I of course will go back and read it over again.

Kirby, So simply and effective. Great idea.

I have been shooting off the hood of my truck and have made a variety of bags, even used a bipod ONCE (bounced too much).

I now have my 'solution'. Uncle Mike's Bull bag. Filled with sand, this thing is about 25 - 30lbs. Even grips the stock quite firmly. Only works with sporter/varmint hunting rifles.

The big cannons, I still shoot from my portable bench (Black and Decker Workmate with a piece of plywood bolted as a table - folds up, really very stable, and the right height)

so far, shooting it has proven as good as any other method used in the past. With a bit of practise, this should be the best for what I do. Big plus is there is no bounce!!!

I just put a pad under the bag so that I don't scratch up the hood. I have a canopy on the back so your idea will not work for me.

Another simple solution to LR field shooting.

Jerry

Dave

Ok, I see the picture, but are you sure that isn't a Raggedy Ann sock, not a clown sock?

Dave King,
While LR hunting have you ever felt like you needed the swivel model of bipod? I see your point about not liking things that could move, but what if you were shooting on a side hill? Is this not a problem where you hunt? Just curious. I want to be as informed as possible before purchasing. Thanks

Len

The big green sock is the one named (Killer Clown club). I was at a week long sniper school and during some of the exercises we were required to carry our rear rifle support (sand sock) during the between rounds fired jog,run,trot, wear down the shooter sessions. I had the biggest, ugliest sand sock and carried it gripped a bit like one would carry a club... One of the other particpants took to calling it the Homey the Killer Clown club and it then became the offical name of the thing.

Boman

I adjust the leg length to that required to keep the rifle level (un-canted). It may seem a little cumbersome, moreso than the swivel, but it becomes nearly automatic and one set in place is very stable. At the distances I need the bipod the critter is usually stationary or moving slow enough for proper bipod setup and adjustment. (As a side note: I have noticed that there are some unusual POI shifts when shooting from a side hill using a bipod. I believe it has to do with the dissimilar leg length and resultant torquing of the bipod on recoil.)

srhaggerty

Sorry I forgot to discuss this.

The sand sock is used under the butt of the rifle, like a rear bag but far more versatile. It's impervious to weather, easy to make or replace and can be filled with any manner of filler materiel. Filler materiel can be, rice, sand, poly beads, styrofoam beads, beans, kapok, foam cushion, gerbils or other small rodents, gold nuggets or whatever can be shaped to fit the ground and rifle butt. Remember that it'll eventually get wet, dirty, smashed, whacked and frozen so pick something less effected by these conditions.

Here's a commercial version under the buttstock.

http://www.triadtactical.com/store/item/vk7m/MISC_Shooting_Gear/Redman_Rear_Bag_Woodland_MARPAT.html

Dave,

Does the 4" off the ground seem to be enough in your experience with the 9-13" bipod? Do you also have a scope level to make sure you are un-canted?

There are times when I'd like something a little taller but they are becoming more rare. I've become pretty good at finding the proper place to offer a goos rest and view with the shorter bipod. I believe most fellas cycle through a good many bipods looking for the proper/more convenient model. (I haven't found too many folks that like the tall 2-piece model.)

I do have a bubble level on most of my rifles (anti-cant) and will someday order enough to outfit all my long(er) range rifles (a must have item in my opinion).

I just tighten up the swivel so it won't move, unless I want it to. I would think, without the swivel, there are going to be times when in is almost impossible to get the rifle level.

What media do you prefer in your bags? Of the list you mentioned, Poly beads sounded almost the best and least effected by weather. Maybe others can chime into what there media is.

Dave Thanks for answering. My first reaction was exactly what Bill asked.. Wouldn't that possibly prevent you from achieving and uncanted position? How long are your hunting shots?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.