Long range shooting position

Who's Bob? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Timely bump.....Was about to start thread on this subject.

I'm making the transition from bench to prone w/bipod. Started w/a prone size bipod. Found it too low for most field conditions.

Switched to one that reaches sitting height. It seems almost too tall for prone.

I'm studied pics of shooters in position with sniper rifles. The seem to be pretty lost.

I notice I have a tendency to be 'up on my elbows' to be most comfortable. Shooting a 338 maybe I'm a little skeerd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My beanie bank is filled with beanie baby beads and seems to work quite well. My problem is getting into a position low enough to use it.

And don't say its my pot gut! I've droped 25# in the last little while. I'm a slim trim 210 headed for 200. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Any hints.......

Roy

Bob is a fella from Michigan looking to get into long range shooting. I sent him some stuff to make a sand sock and he was looking for a few more pointers on what the end product should look like.

I use a 9" - 13" Harris but have used the tall model for varmints a long while back (most of the varmints around here are dead nowadays and the few remaining live ones are three-legged smart).

Dave

Are there any exercises that will help an old codger like
Roy whose neck will be too stiff to bend properly to shoot from prone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Naturally, being as young and spry as I am I got no problem laying on the ground with my back all contorted and trying to get my head bent back in some position God never intended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hey.....it's not my neck

Its my darn knees. When I get down there I need to use the rifle as to help me up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, temp in the 30s this morning. High 30s but still 30s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: bb, no wonder you can't hit nothin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

I carry a First Alert and when I need to get back up I just press the button and say "Help I have fallen and can't get up".

Why do you think I built that stupid Lunarlope table. All this flopping around on the ground is for the kids. My neck just doesn't crank back far enough anymore.

The 30's and still August. I will be glad when they transplant elk to Florida

P.S
I used two floor mats from the truck and my trusty go everywhere bath towel to cushion the bipod when shooting it off a bench. Gave a POI at 1000yds nearly identical to what I was getting without the bipod when using a front rest and rear bag .

There are two areas where I hunt muley here in California. One the shot were uphill at 24 degree angle, the other were all downhill between 20 to 24 degree angle. I used two different height bi-pod. 13-27 inch for uphill and 9-13 for downhill. I shoot mostly prone irregardless of distance to the target.

I definantly feel the steadiest when i am shooting prone. I am 6'5" and wiegh about 175lbs so verticaly I am a big guy but horizontally it aint the same case!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Problem is I have fairly wide shoulders so when the wind blows and I am setting on a bench I feel like I am shaken around a bit. On the ground I am flat as a snake.

At pdog towns prone does get to be pain in the ***, or more literally the top of the *** and small of the back. About 2hrs and I am sore. Also in OK we got red ants the size of SUV's so they can get up on ya. Also if you are shooting with a down ported brake you can get a little bit of God's country landing back on ya and sometimes so of its residents dont like the air time, hint, they red ants again!!!

For hunting, short practice seasons and fun shooting prone is the best IMOP. If we are pdog hunting for a long time then a bench is a hell of a lot easier on the vertebrea.

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
On the ground I am flat as a snake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a snake. More like a Johnsonville Bratwurst, uncooked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I'm getting too detaled in my quest i.e, the fine points of prone shooting from bipod.

I look at pics of prone shooters shooting the big guns and their lower arms are pretty much flat on the ground and their necks aren't kinked.

With me I'm more comfortable when supporting myself on my elbows and supporting the rifle w/both hands. But that sure isn't the steadiest, but I still shoot 'pretty' good, kinda.

Just got a box of 250s for the blunderbuss, guess I'll practice a bit this afternoon. Hell, maybe I otta sign up for trigfifty's freebee shoot, it's only 60 miles away. But I'm probably too cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hey Roy,

I will trade ya a couple truckloads of those fine ants, (or some similar ones that are black,) that Lerch was speaking of, for a couple truckloads of that cool air you were talking about. That way your up off the ground and we can get in some decent shooting for about 20 minutes till the air warms back up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even better, we got some that aren't all that big, (you get more for you money) but they all sneak up on ya at once before they decide to let you know they are there. One or two are just plain annoying, but 30 or more get your attention. Heck I can ship them off to anyone who wants them. I will cover everything but shipping charges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.