Shooting in the Rain

what is this from then? maybe something different?
NRA No. MR-1FC - F-Class target Center based on the MR-1 target for use at 600 yards. To be pasted over the MR-1 target. Aiming Black (inches) Rings in white (inches) X ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.00 10 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.00 9 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12.00 8 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18.00 7 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 24.00 6 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 36.00 5 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 48.00
http://bcsingleshot.com/NRA_HP_Targets.pdf
That's correct. It says exactly what I did. X ring 3.0 , 10 ring...6". You stated the 10 ring is 3" and that's incorrect.

I can't argue ether way about the rain effecting the bullet path, But living on the coast (Gulf of Mexico) I can assure you that the humidity has an effect on trajectory and flight path having shot at sea level and then at 8,000 feet+ with the same load and rifle that the drop changed. And having shot my fair share of matches, Many times we had to adjust the zero for different humidity, elevation, Temperature and rain, but fortunately
we were able to adjust for these changes so the matches went as planed.

So I would be inclined to think that rain could change the bullet path If not compensated for. The amount of change would depend on many factors, so that would be different for any combination of cartridge and amount of rain fall.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I can't argue ether way about the rain effecting the bullet path, But living on the coast (Gulf of Mexico) I can assure you that the humidity has an effect on trajectory and flight path having shot at sea level and then at 8,000 feet+ with the same load and rifle that the drop changed. And having shot my fair share of matches, Many times we had to adjust the zero for different humidity, elevation, Temperature and rain, but fortunately
we were able to adjust for these changes so the matches went as planed.

So I would be inclined to think that rain could change the bullet path If not compensated for. The amount of change would depend on many factors, so that would be different for any combination of cartridge and amount of rain fall.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM
that would be due to barometric pressure/ air density --- correct?

I knew beluebows comment would start this---saw it coming
it might help him out if you told him how large that target actually is or how large the grouping is--if its a 18" target then it would be about a 8-9" grouping, if its only 12" target then its would be closer to 5.5" group, if its an 8" target then its only about 3.5"

if that is an official MR-1 600 yard NRA target then the X ring alone is 6" in diameter
but if its an MR-1FC target then the X ring is only 3"

also you said you shot 15 rounds but there are 22 "X's" on your target-- kind of confusing--you also stated that the wind changed with the rain, could you tell if your POI shift was due to wind or rain?
One other thing to add, this target is easy to identify due to the aiming black. The MR-1 black only runs through to the 7 ring. The MR-1FC the black runs through to the 6 ring.

that would be due to barometric pressure/ air density --- correct?

When it rains down here, it changes everything including Air density, Temperature. humidity, But the elevation only changes buy the amount of rain that falls that day.:) Our annual rain fall is on the order of 50" to 60'' a year with some years being over 100". Some drastic changes have to be made if we go to the higher elevations that normally are 20 to 30 % humidity When ours runs in the high 80s to the high 90 %.

J E CUSTOM

The black is 36", the 5 ring which would be in white is 48".

His group on the target in question spreads out into the 7 ring. However, if you were to circle around the entire group it's about the size of a 8 ring which is 18", so his group is about 3 MOA.

Last edited:
The black is 36", the 5 ring which would be in white is 48"
yup, read it wrong this time I was thinking the 48" was the outside of the 6 ring not the outside of the 5 ring(or about 2.8-2.9 moa shooting group if this is a real NA mr-1fc target as his group is within the black 7 so within 19" for 22 shots)
wow, I got caught up in that tangent

Last edited:
right, wrong word again-- I didnt mean diameter I meant outside dimension of the paper target so 48" overall target dimension (or about 3.2-3.5 moa shooting group if this is a real NA mr-1fc target as his group is within the black 7 so within 20-22" for 22 shots)
wow, I got caught up in that tangent
His group on the target is within the 7 ring. The 7 ring is 24", 4 MOA. Each ring on FC Target is worth 1 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts