Shooting in the rain

Whether the bullet physically contacts the drops or not they exert a force that affects them. The wind doesn't physically contact a supersonic bullet either but as we've all seen it exerts a great amount of force that affects the bullets flight.

A drop of rain, will impart no linear affect on a bullet in flight. The first issue, getting a bullet and a drop of rain to occupy the same air space at the same time. Next, we need to consider the mass of the bullet v. the drop of rain. The difference in force of the bullet traveling perpendicular to the rain falling at terminal velocity (much less force). The bullet is pushing air, which in turn will "push" the rain out of the way. This lost velocity that we calculate (drop) is realized with, or without rain. That said, there will in fact be a negative affect to velocity. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction type thing. Any way, all of this to say that while the bullet will slow down ever so slightly, it won't actually hit the drop of rain. So yes, rain will affect a bullet, but so negligible as to not even have to calculate for it.

I concede that a bullet with a mass less than a drop of rain, flying at a very slow rate, you will technically be able to start impacting water droplets. I don't know where that point is. BB gun, air soft, I have no clue.

With larger caliber bullets the lower barometric pressure and air density seem if anything to make them run a bit faster than they do on dry days.

100% agreed that air density will effect the flight of a bullet. Easiest explained as how much the air weighs, that the bullet must pass through, or "push" out of the way.

Of course, I could be wet on the whole matter.

My non-expert opinion is that, rain will more than likely affect the "nut" behind the trigger as supposed to the equipment/set-up.

There's a LRH member from the EU, I can't remember who but he did an awesome video of shooting in the rain.
Get water in the tube or chamber and it can have a very detrimental effect very quickly.

I can handle just about any other weather conditions in the field but being cold and wet can get you shivering to the point it becomes impossible to get a steady hold.

I've been severely hypothermic a few times and it's no joke. In each case it started with getting wet and then the cold just creeps right in.

A drop of rain, will impart no linear affect on a bullet in flight. The first issue, getting a bullet and a drop of rain to occupy the same air space at the same time. Next, we need to consider the mass of the bullet v. the drop of rain. The difference in force of the bullet traveling perpendicular to the rain falling at terminal velocity (much less force). The bullet is pushing air, which in turn will "push" the rain out of the way. This lost velocity that we calculate (drop) is realized with, or without rain. That said, there will in fact be a negative affect to velocity. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction type thing. Any way, all of this to say that while the bullet will slow down ever so slightly, it won't actually hit the drop of rain. So yes, rain will affect a bullet, but so negligible as to not even have to calculate for it.

I concede that a bullet with a mass less than a drop of rain, flying at a very slow rate, you will technically be able to start impacting water droplets. I don't know where that point is. BB gun, air soft, I have no clue.

100% agreed that air density will effect the flight of a bullet. Easiest explained as how much the air weighs, that the bullet must pass through, or "push" out of the way.

Of course, I could be wet on the whole matter.
Like myself ant others have said the only time I've seen it have an appreciable effect is on very small high velocity rounds like the Swift, .204, and 17.

With each of those I've seen the bullets simply disintegrate within a couple of hundred yards never impacting the target. Even a few blades of grass can deflect a bullet in flight even though they don't directly come into contact with the bullet either.

One nice thing about shooting in the rain is that up to a certain level it makes following your trace all the way to impact much easier so you can observe what if anything is having an effect on the flight.

Get water in the tube or chamber and it can have a very detrimental effect very quickly.

I can handle just about any other weather conditions in the field but being cold and wet can get you shivering to the point it becomes impossible to get a steady hold.

I've been severely hypothermic a few times and it's no joke. In each case it started with getting wet and then the cold just creeps right in.

Water in the tube and chamber is another story and I don't think that is the case for the OP.

Yep, that is exactly my point. The equipment is better suited with the environment than the nut behind the trigger. You don't even need to be out in the field to prove it. The next time it drizzles (not rain or pouring rain), observe the people around you and they either wait until it stops or run towards a shelter, i.e. to and from vehicles in a workplace. :)

Keeping yourself dry and warm is the key afield, esp. your head, feet, and head (at least for me). Dress accordingly for your hunting conditions/environment. When the hunting environment changes to something far from equilibrium (from your ideal hunting conditions), i.e rain, snow, extreme cold, wind, the psychological game kicks in followed by the physical reaction(s).

Water in the tube and chamber is another story and I don't think that is the case for the OP.

Yep, that is exactly my point. The equipment is better suited with the environment than the nut behind the trigger. You don't even need to be out in the field to prove it. The next time it drizzles (not rain or pouring rain), observe the people around you and they either wait until it stops or run towards a shelter, i.e. to and from vehicles in a workplace. :)

Keeping yourself dry and warm is the key afield, esp. your head, feet, and head (at least for me). Dress accordingly for your hunting conditions/environment. When the hunting environment changes to something far from equilibrium (from your ideal hunting conditions), i.e rain, snow, extreme cold, wind, the psychological game kicks in followed by the physical reaction(s).
I've had frostbite before on my face, hands, and feet. If I can keep them warm and the rest of me dry I can tolerate a whole lot of cold but those areas are particularly sensitive to cold injuries in the future due to reduced circulation. My feet in particular get cold and start hurting fast as a result so I really have to work at it.

Well some of us (hunt) by looking through large tripod binnoculars exclusively. So the raindrops or the snowflakes are magnified. Also allowing the optics to get wet is not a wise thing to do. We carry trash bags to cover up for brief squalls, but if it gets serious we quit for the day. Finding a deer at distance, brown on brown is always challenging even in good conditions.
But dark wet conditions compound that, plus seeing hits on wet leaves is also much harder. About the only thing worse is snow, too much snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.