Shooting in the rain

I have had plastic tip bullets disappear when shot out of a 7 Mag at 200 yards, 150-154g at 3150 fps, not something I read about, something that actually happened.

Factors, how large are the raindrops, the severity of the downpour, distance, and velocity. I have shot in the rain quite a bit, but this was the first time I have seen bullets disappear.

Last edited:
My Question is how does rain effect the .22 cal center fires with there lighter weight / construction? I had a 220 swift literately explode when it hit a piece of the string just 4" before the paper target, which was splattered with the fragments of lead and copper, years ago.

I have had plastic tip bullets disappear when shot out of a 7 Mag at 200 yards, 150-154g at 3150 fps, not something I read about, something that actually happened.

Factors, how large is the rain drops, severity of the down pour, distance, and velocity. I have shot in the rain quite a bit, but this was the first time I have seen bullets disappear.
How are you sure that it's due to rain if you've done it quite a bit and it never happened?

Awesome video and thanks for sharing! I would love to see this again but with the rifle and shooter out in the elements. I wonder if water and or heavy moisture in the barrel would effect the long range impacts..?? I have shot some mid range bucks in the rain with no issues and have seen some cool vapor trails and some huge wet muzzle flash. Also pretty cool watching a bullet strike a wet animal and blowing the water off on impact. Thanks again, Jason

How are you sure that it's due to rain if you've done it quite a bit and it never happened?

154g Interbonds and 154g SST don't just disappear for no reason, a HEAVY downpour is the only explanation. Out of 10 shots, only 7 hit the paper at 200. Some were keyholing at 100 which made me move the target out further as a HEAVY rain test. I got drenched putting up the target. I have hunted in light rain, with never a problem. I still have bullets from the same lot numbers, and the test was shot 10 years ago. I have never had a problem with the bullets/ barrel since.

Question: is there a difference between a Match HP in the rain vs a poly-tip bullet of sorts? So, how heavy does the rain have to be before the shock wave in front of the bullet is overcome by the water density of the air/heavy raindrop?

I had bullets keyhole at 100 then disappear by 200, and it was raining HARD! The gun was a custom Rem 700 in 7 Magm 9" twist. We were reloading right at the rifle range that has a loading shed right behind the benches, Elberton Ga.

Last edited:
I have shot in the rain many times. Usually, it is the result of a passing storm while I'm already at our club and shooting. Our firing line is fully covered overhead and behind the shooting line. I've shot the same load(s) at 400yds; before, during and after a downpour. I have never seen a change in impact at 400yds. It seems odd but that is just my experience.