Shooting in the Rain

Yet a firearm can be shot completely submerged under water with no I'll effects

When it's in the water it has equal pressure all around it.

Fill your bore with water on dry land and fire it and it's likely to blow up in your face.

Among other things water tends to be very galling when it gets between two pieces of metal under pressure. That's why we use oil and grease as lubricants instead of water.

I like to use target plasters. They work well, but you must dry your muzzle well before applying.

I use them most of the time to keep the dust out of my bore and they work well in the rain too. I take them off when not in the field to let the barrel breath. I believe the air in the bore, ahead of the bullet, pushes the plasters off and away prior to the exit. Caution should be used if they get pushed against the crown as a slight buildup of the sticky stuff can sit there. Easy to clean off when done.

I hunt and shoot in dusty locations and you would not believe the amount of dust that can get into your bore ext. Well you can imagine what that fine dust can do to your bore over the life of your barrel.
Keeps the rain and snow out too.
Just keep extra strips in your field gear, truck ext.
This is what I use: https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...sories/sinclair-target-pasters-prod32970.aspx

Could you please elaborate on your findings using tape over the muzzle? I always tape my barrel when hunting in snow, and was under the impression the tape has no effect on anything but keeping the barrel clear of water, snow, and mud. I wouldn't want to tape the barrel and it end up costing me an Elk, or worse wounding and losing an Elk.

This video talks about the electrical tape.

Guess I am too cheap to buy something that is so simple to make on your own. I just cut a finger off a blue nitrile glove from Harbor Freight and slide it over barrel and tape around the glove finger. No adhesive on barrel and it will stay on pretty darn good. The air pressure blows it right off and will keep the bore nice and dry under any condition I have been in whether it be heavy rain or wet snow. Same as balloon and a lot of folks have these gloves for work around home etc.

I watched the Guns and Ammo show twice to see it in more detail. I feel like they did not conclusively convince me that their test was valid. While the high speed video shows the tip of the bullet to yaw and I believe that their calculations as to the angle of yaw may be correct. The bullet is spinning around its axis and was disrupted. Their ability to capture the bullet in flight is so limited to such a small distance as to be insignificant. A better test would have been had he actually shot at a target at 100 yds with a before and after shot with rain and without.

I have set targets for registered BR matches and I can tell you that in a down pour no one was missing the target and most groups were close to dry conditions. Some shooters think that the lack of accuracy came from not being able to see the target as clearly as when it was not raining.

Maybe they will retest and use a down range target to validate their results other wise I am not convinced that you would miss the target by over 2 feet at 100 yds. If this were the case I think we would have all experienced this phenomena while hunting in the rain. Which most of us have done many times. Understand I am not saying there is no effect on the bullet flight. I am saying that if it was as sever as their one example most of us would have experienced it in our life time of shooting and hunting.
Henry
I have shot 4 or 5 times in the rain from 500 to 1000 yards and one time it was really coming down and could not tell any difference on my group size. The only problem I had is I left my ammo box open and got about 3 inches of rain in the box and screwed up my cartridges.

Not sure how the barrel physics of firing under water. Water is much denser than air and does not compress like air. Seems to me pressures would be dangerously high. I've seen video demos, but question whether water was allowed in the barrel. Regardless I'm not trying it or firing with water in the barrel.

I have shot service rifle matches in the rain wasn't fun but accuracy was fine but getting that small splash of water in the face every shot wasn't

As noted in several postings already, I too have used electrical tape for many years, but not because of stretching or lack thereof, but rather the fact that electrical tape can be stuck on when it is wet out already. It will stick to itself well, so I put a strip over the muzzle and then a piece around the barrel to hold the strip in place.

Muley Guy is correct over the end then a wrap around the ends we used to leave a few wraps around mid barrel just incase more is needed or someone forgot theirs

I shoot hot and heavy,,, or light and fast...

Its probilibly why black electrical tape dosen't affect my groups down range...

It to bad that folks who live in Vancouver Canada have to shoot their rifles all the time in the rain...

Did I mention that it rains almost every day up in this neck of the woods...
Its North Americans most monsoon area,,, very similar to Seattle Washington,,, Portland Oregon... Ha

Life is what it is if it rains all the time...

Cheers from the North

After 20 years in Montana the webbing between my toes has finally receded after living over 25 years in Oregon, where it only rains 387 days a year and is cloudy the other 340 days.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts