Shooting in the Rain

It has to do with supersonic speed versus subsonic. Supersonic speed will deflect the rain, that is what ballistic expert teach us. To really see the effect of rain check the 308 bullet at 800 meter when it nears the end of its efficacy and starts nearing subsonic speed

Total agreement plus the fact that going transonic likely affects all supersonic bullets IF you're shooting far enough. In my opinion/experiences accuracy is only good until you drop to transonic no matter what the weather. For the most part rain doesnt affect my target shooting. On small caliber bullets at close range 200-250 yards, if anything, I seem to shoot a litte high.

Back in the 1990's when hunting the Mesa CO. area I stopped in a sporting goods store called Gene Taylors, in Grand Junction, don't know if they are still there are not, but they sold a gadget called Barrel Condoms --- black and about an inch long and they worked very well in the rain, drizzle and snow. Just do not leave them on and wipe the barrel out with a dry patch to remove the moisture at the end of the day. Leaving them on will cause rust at the end of the barrel inside and out.
They are now called "Barrel Cots" put out by Birchwood Casey. They come 10 to a pack for about $6.00.

I have done a bit of shooting in the rain and snow. I have been stopped by the rangers and asked what I am doing. Hunting. I then show my rifle to them, it is teflon coated. Like an idiot I no longer have that that rifle. I never noticed my accuracy deteriorate unless my scope was dripping wet and I could not see.

I watched the Guns and Ammo show twice to see it in more detail. I feel like they did not conclusively convince me that their test was valid. While the high speed video shows the tip of the bullet to yaw and I believe that their calculations as to the angle of yaw may be correct. The bullet is spinning around its axis and was disrupted. Their ability to capture the bullet in flight is so limited to such a small distance as to be insignificant. A better test would have been had he actually shot at a target at 100 yds with a before and after shot with rain and without.

I have set targets for registered BR matches and I can tell you that in a down pour no one was missing the target and most groups were close to dry conditions. Some shooters think that the lack of accuracy came from not being able to see the target as clearly as when it was not raining.

Maybe they will retest and use a down range target to validate their results other wise I am not convinced that you would miss the target by over 2 feet at 100 yds. If this were the case I think we would have all experienced this phenomena while hunting in the rain. Which most of us have done many times. Understand I am not saying there is no effect on the bullet flight. I am saying that if it was as sever as their one example most of us would have experienced it in our life time of shooting and hunting.
Henry

Back in the 1990's when hunting the Mesa CO. area I stopped in a sporting goods store called Gene Taylors, in Grand Junction, don't know if they are still there are not, but they sold a gadget called Barrel Condoms --- black and about an inch long and they worked very well in the rain, drizzle and snow. Just do not leave them on and wipe the barrel out with a dry patch to remove the moisture at the end of the day. Leaving them on will cause rust at the end of the barrel inside and out.

I saw those years ago, but never bought them. But I worked in an office at the time and picked up several of those nubbed finger tip things people use for shuffling through papers? Maybe 1.5 to 2" long.

Other than being an odd flesh color they work great, for all but really thin profile barrels.

So nobody has seen a Navy Seal come out of the water with there rifle soaking wet and begin to fire. Must be stuff of legends.
Shep

So how would the other form of rain -snow fall - affect accuracy? Thinking about a ladder test for the 300WM but it's snowing now.

2 Feet. I was surprised but they apparently did an exhaustive study on it.
me thinks they did their study wrong or maybe with BB guns? I am not a match shooter nor do I shoot A LOT compared to many on here but ive sent TONS of ammo down range during light and heavy rain and yes I have seen some deviation but NEVER anything crazy like 2 feet. Maybe a couple inches at 100 yards but I also never shot anything lighter than 100 grains so maybe it depends on bullet size/weight. I don't doubt there would be a much larger effect on heavier/larger bullets at longer ranges though.

Over 40 years of hunting and never had a problem with hunting in the rain. I call BS on the whole thing. Hunt or go home.
Only problem I have big game hunting is the rangefinder is useless very far if its raining very hard. That, and animals don't move much if raining very hard either.

I went a different route on the barrel cover. I don't like the idea of tape on my barrel so I use finger gloves (They are made to help sort papers and look like a small condom). They are not as tough as tape but don't effect POI at all as far as i can see. I also carry several In my hunting pack for replacement if needed.

Can't say if they are better, but they just make me feel better and if they show any damage I know they might not protect the bore from rain. Like everyone I have shot matches and hunted in the rain but as said it was not a downpour and I saw no real effect. A long shot or a downpour would definitely effect the POI in my opinion.
so I don't take the chance.

Just me

J E CUSTOM
They actually make them for muzzleloaders specifically if you want a "real" hunting specific device and pay more as well haha. I have also cut fingers off latex gloves in a pinch.

maxresdefault.jpg
muzzle blast from flash hider diverting the rain

gotta see the 152mm cannon round deflected by watermelons:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.