• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Shipping Guns

Nubba0681

Not exactly sure where to post this but wanted to share this. I have several rifles shipped to me a year as I'm sure many of us here do... We all know the shipping situation that's going on with FedEx, USPS, UPS, etc... I'm still waiting on a rifle from April... Yea, right. We all know by now Bubba has his tasco dead on and he's bustin nannies on the back 40 with it. I'll never see that rifle...
Anyways, something we need to pay attention to when shipping a rifle, packaging. I have literally received a rifle with the barrel sticking out of the box and have had 1 with the stock from pistol grip back laying in the bottom of the box when I pulled the rifle out. One more thing, please do not send a scope mounted on top of a rifle wrapped up in a cardboard box.
Yesterday I received a rifle that was packed up pretty dang good... Had the box padded, taped good and everything looked good. Pulled the rifle out and it a cracked all the way across the grip... It's a miracle these days that we even receive the rifle, a bonus if it's in working order. Pack the items as you would want them packed for yourself. Mark it fragile, let them know something can be damaged if it's kicked, slammed or whatever else they do with these packages.
This post is not about trashing anybcarriers, it's just a buyer/seller heads up.
081F6128-CE20-4605-B627-292EA62A35EB.jpeg
8437F02C-3EB6-4638-80D5-592B95B66303.jpeg
F89F457B-DC60-4C09-98E4-15F21C0E711A.jpeg

That sucks about your rifle. I always tell the seller that I'll pay for them to go buy a cheap hard case to ship it in. I've never had any issues when they're shipped in the cheap Plano case then put in a cardboard box.
If it's where I can't comfortably break it down and put it in a tight packed box, I'll do the same.

I hate that for you, the shippers must employee the gorillas retired from Samsonite.

I use a 6x6x adjustable length box, wrap the rifle or shotgun in a new grey U-Haul moving blanket, roll it a couple of times, then fold the extra length over the rifle like a burrito, finish rolling it up and slide it in the box. The double wall of the box helps make the box more rigid, use banding tape and wrap it tight. I have yet to have a recipient mention anything about damage. The blankets are cheap insurance, I have used 2 on expensive items. The boxes are cheap from U-line and available in various widths and lengths.

I saw an airline baggage handler take my brother in-laws rifle case, stand it up on end at the top of the baggage ramp and push it over so it fell down fast and hit hard. It was pretty clear he was trying to do damage, since it took extra effort to do it. My guess is we might be encountering some anti gun types in shipping who are more than too happy to try and damage someone's rifle.

I saw an airline baggage handler take my brother in-laws rifle case, stand it up on end at the top of the baggage ramp and push it over so it fell down fast and hit hard. It was pretty clear he was trying to do damage, since it took extra effort to do it. My guess is we might be encountering some anti gun types in shipping who are more than too happy to try and damage someone's rifle.
My thoughts exactly...

I hate that for you, the shippers must employee the gorillas retired from Samsonite.

I use a 6x6x adjustable length box, wrap the rifle or shotgun in a new grey U-Haul moving blanket, roll it a couple of times, then fold the extra length over the rifle like a burrito, finish rolling it up and slide it in the box. The double wall of the box helps make the box more rigid, use banding tape and wrap it tight. I have yet to have a recipient mention anything about damage. The blankets are cheap insurance, I have used 2 on expensive items. The boxes are cheap from U-line and available in various widths and lengths.
Thanks for the Uline tip. Found the boxes I want, always a PIA to find suitable boxes when I sell a rifle.

I've been shipping firearms for over ten years now and have never had that happen. FFL's are the worst at packing, had one ship a Russian rifle in that real thin Russian cardboard. I'm not even sure how it made it intact but it did. I agree with shipping in a cheap plastic case. It will cost more due to size but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the Uline tip. Found the boxes I want, always a PIA to find suitable boxes when I sell a rifle.
Jon Beanland built three rifles for me 4-5 years ago. He would use an 8"x8" by the length of the rifle box. Then wrap it up with enough bubble wrap that it took great effort to get it in the box. He also add extra prothe film on each end of the box, those rifle arrived in perfect condition all three times. I've used soft cases with good success wrapped with additional padding too. Anytime I buy here or elsewhere I off extra $$ to ship the rifle well protected. I've had a couple arrive that I have no idea how they made without damage. One had the bolt handle sticking out the side of the box.

Not exactly sure where to post this but wanted to share this. I have several rifles shipped to me a year as I'm sure many of us here do... We all know the shipping situation that's going on with FedEx, USPS, UPS, etc... I'm still waiting on a rifle from April... Yea, right. We all know by now Bubba has his tasco dead on and he's bustin nannies on the back 40 with it. I'll never see that rifle...
Anyways, something we need to pay attention to when shipping a rifle, packaging. I have literally received a rifle with the barrel sticking out of the box and have had 1 with the stock from pistol grip back laying in the bottom of the box when I pulled the rifle out. One more thing, please do not send a scope mounted on top of a rifle wrapped up in a cardboard box.
Yesterday I received a rifle that was packed up pretty dang good... Had the box padded, taped good and everything looked good. Pulled the rifle out and it a cracked all the way across the grip... It's a miracle these days that we even receive the rifle, a bonus if it's in working order. Pack the items as you would want them packed for yourself. Mark it fragile, let them know something can be damaged if it's kicked, slammed or whatever else they do with these packages.
This post is not about trashing anybcarriers, it's just a buyer/seller heads up.

when I ship a rifle it could be dropped from a plane just for that reason. A FEDx frnd told me "gun" is liberal speak for "throw me as hard as you can"View attachment 222735View attachment 222736View attachment 222737